Lectrosonics (SMDB/E01) TXs issues (RF or connection or...?)

JavierCarles

Hi folks,

I bought a SRb with x2 TX SMDB/E01 with x2 Sanken from a reliable sound mixer in the UK a few months ago. They were used,

but he said they worked fine. They've done a good job until the last few months, where a weird noise is popping up sometimes

and I just can't figure out what it is.

I asked to replace the TA5 connector from both Sanken, and it happened again. Then I asked to replace the TA5 connector

of both TXs, and it still happens... I've just bought a brand new Sanken and there was a clicking and popping sound in TX1, and

when swapped with TX2 even worse sounds happened.

So it has to be RF issues? It really shouldn't be the mics, and the connector from the TXs as I've just said have been

replaced by a professional. 

The audio clips are the following:

>> Lectro 1 issue.wav was a test with a specific Sanken (let's call it Sanken 1) with a specific TX (let's

call it TX 1). I was moving the Sanken connection at end of the cable, and all those issues occurred. That

same Sanken 1 with TX 2 didn't create those issues at all. That same TX 1 with Sanken 2 didn't have those

issues. Weird? But on today's shoot I had similar issues with TX 2 and brand new Sanken (listen to

audio "Lectro issue RF I guess.wav").

>> Lectro 2 issue.wav on today's shoot, with a brand new Sanken (literally bought

it two days ago via pinknoise), with TX 2. I was so surprised 'cause I thought it was a specific issue with TX 1

and Sanken 1, but I guess not... or is this a different issue?

>> Lectro issue pops.wav this was with TX 1 and brand new Sanken. After that I swapped TXs and that's

when I got those other sounds issues heard at audio "Lectro 2 issue.wav", which is way worse.

So confused I was. Is it then a malfunction in the brand new Sanken..? 

>> Lectro issue RF I guess.wav Just another take, same issues and problems than in "Lectro 2 issue.wav" audio.

This is with TX 2 and brand new Sanken. It does sound like RF signal issues, right..?

Here are the audio files --> https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Dihq9GbHdbyQBWLUhu2pWfOUcVvdkSeb?usp=sharing

-- I did look for new frequencies before the shoot. It's true that we moved locations though, 

but it was within the same uni campus, like maybe 800m apart? 3 minutes walk

-- I was literally 3-5 meters apart from talent. TX clipped on her bag, just one layer of

clothing. RX was showing normal signal, just a crazy dropout when that weird sound happens. 

-- I don't think camera has anything to do with this, if someone is wondering. It's just a simple

Sony FX6 with nothing on it. Also one of those small Canon or Sony

I'm really confused and it's giving me a headache, after replacing and spending money on

new TA5 connectors for Sanken and the TXs, now this is happening...

If someone could give a listen to these short audio clips examples (5 or 11 seconds each) and share

their thoughts I'd really really appreciate it. I'm of course in touch with the person who did

the TXs connectors.

Thanks in advance 

Lectro 1 issue sounds like the TA5F connector is not seated in the tx properly. I’ve heard that thumping sound before and it’s usually a seating problem. Make sure the TA5F is plugged in properly. 

The other examples sound like RF issues. You haven’t mentioned what receivers you’re using. 

If you’re using a Sound Devices SL2 or SL6, make sure you’ve chosen the correct band for your transmitters. If not, you will definitely have problems. 

Cheers 

15 hours ago, Peter Mega said:

Lectro 1 issue sounds like the TA5F connector is not seated in the tx properly. I’ve heard that thumping sound before and it’s usually a seating problem. Make sure the TA5F is plugged in properly. 

The other examples sound like RF issues. You haven’t mentioned what receivers you’re using. 

If you’re using a Sound Devices SL2 or SL6, make sure you’ve chosen the correct band for your transmitters. If not, you will definitely have problems. 

Cheers 

I'm using SRb plugged to my F8. Simple stuff. 

I'm on a shoot now and no issues whatsoever.

Lectro 1 still happens, only with that Sanken and that TX. I can 100% confirmed the it's plugged correctly to the TX. I spent literally 40 minutes with that mic and TX alone. Both Sanken and TX TA5 connector were replaced by professionals just weeks/month ago