Sound Devices A-20 Receiver

Erob

3 hours ago, Mattias Larsen said:

I love to see all the RF companies step up their game significantly over the last 2-3 years. So does the A20 Mini already have 470-1525 MHz available to go along with the A20 RX? Pretty neat if so.

Yes,  Via a firmware upgrade to the A20.  That is according to the videos I have watched.

Just curious what kind of battery life people are getting out the the A20 TX.  I have heard 4 hours on a few videos, but  that is not acceptable run time to me, if that is the case.  Looking at upgrading everything soon.

11 hours ago, backfocus said:

Just curious what kind of battery life people are getting out the the A20 TX.  I have heard 4 hours on a few videos, but  that is not acceptable run time to me, if that is the case.  Looking at upgrading everything soon.

I have heard similar ballpark figures, or less at higher output levels. Guess a full sized TX should come out eventually. Its allways something.

I invested in the new Wisys  and while most things are amazing, size and weight is not one of them, so pick your poison I guess.

In any case, I am really impressed by all the steps manufacturers are taking for wideband, filtering options and making the signal strenght better.

20 hours ago, backfocus said:

You can get up to 5.5 hours with 3x Lithium AAA batteries. Recommend using Long Range modulation as it allows lower RF powers to still achieve  good range.

If you are looking for a new system backfocus you might look at the Zaxcom ZMT4 transmitter. It is about 1/2 the size of the A20 and will run at full power for 7 hours with a rechargeable battery. Cost to run every day is nearly Free. There are many other advantages that you can learn about on our site Zaxcom. Com

21 hours ago, glenn said:

If you are looking for a new system backfocus you might look at the Zaxcom ZMT4 transmitter. It is about 1/2 the size of the A20 and will run at full power for 7 hours with a rechargeable battery. Cost to run every day is nearly Free. There are many other advantages that you can learn about on our site Zaxcom. Com

Yes.  I am possibly looking to move completely to Zaxcom.  The Nova and how it seems to work would really work well for more of my jobs, especailly since I am not doing Reality shows anymore.  Looking for a lighter setup than the 688 and Lectos, camera hops, IFB etc.  Getting too old to lug the around all the time.  Now I just need to actually test a system out, which is hard when there are no audio shops around and no-one has a Zaxcom system in the areas.

I was trying to hold my tongue but I can’t believe you guys are hijacking this Sound Devices thread to talk Zaxcom and make sales. Zaxcom make nice reliable products and I own some Zaxcom items that I really like, their service is also great, but really?

Congratulations to Sound Devices, more nice products for us to choose from. 

BTW, can the A20 receive signals from other brands like Lectrosonics for example? For those who have many transmitters from other manufacturers (like me 😉)

Also, can they slot into an SL6?

Thanks 

13 hours ago, Peter Mega said:

I was trying to hold my tongue but I can’t believe you guys are hijacking this Sound Devices thread to talk Zaxcom and make sales. Zaxcom make nice reliable products and I own some Zaxcom items that I really like, their service is also great, but really?

I don't consider this a hijacking at all (and I do not assert any moderation on discussions that occur after the  initial post. The question about battery life came up and within the  context of this  post the subject is not limited to only talking about the Sound Devices A20. Both Paul Isaacs and Glenn Sanders weighed in on the battery run time issue and there is northing wrong with that being in this discussion.

No worries Jeff. 

Battery discussion is fine and informative for all. 

However, it’s a very obvious “sales” kind of tone that comes through. 

Maybe the ZMT4 needs its own thread or a personal message to Backfocus about a demo unit might’ve  been more ethical. 

FWIW, I also agree with Peter - actually I started to write a reply on the same topic, but deleted it because I didn't want to distract from the topic.

nobody doubts that Zaxcom makes some great products, but the question was clearly about the runtime of the A-20 (which Paul answered) and not of the ZMT4 (I don't see anybody from Sennheiser or Lectro etc boasting how great the runtime of their transmitters are).

Sorry to drag this on, but it hasn't been the first time I felt this way.