Shockmounts (long shotgun mics)

Bartek

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I own a long psc shockmount and do not like it one bit.

Can anyone tell me what options I have with regards to long shotgun microphones?

Thank you,

Bartek

I use PSC shorts with Schoeps 64 for x/y music stuff all the time and as zeppelin backup with a std softie, and love them for that. Can't get simpler. For my MKH 70 (even with a 30 mounted also for M/S) I use the K-Tek GPS and it does well even when bushwhacking. In all honesty I did tweek the "T-bar" recently, but K-Tek is all about customer service! Beefier replacement is in the mail. I think I may have an older prototype, which has been modified for same concern. The only thing I consider when mounting longer mics in the K-GPS is that tension on the XLR cable is just right so it doesn't sag too far forward. Handling noise is not an issue when doing this. YMMV of course.

EB

• 3 weeks later...

Years ago I standardized on a Rycote shock mount with the "C" brackets and replaced their elastics with lots and lots of store bought rubber bands.  I countinued to slather on these small rubber bands until my boom man could move at a dead run with two of them.

This resulted in a much firmer mount that usuall but the mic tip did not hit the inside of the blimp with fast cueing and yet was limber enough to keep vibration down.  This, of course, works best when you dedicate the mic to a blimp-and external shots.

I though the band would deteriorate quickly but they were more durable than the high priced spread-Strange but true!