Share your Chest rig!

Blackdawg

Hi All. 

I am looking for some ideas and inspriation for a small chest rig. I curretnly have 2 bag setups and one is just heavy, but needed at times, and the other is just a bad bag. I am finding myself in need to upgrade the small bag recorder wise and wireles wise so taking the moment to get a new bag. 

Here are my current setups: 

Big Bag: 

Sachtler Eargonizer Large

Mixpre 10-T

4 URC411 receivers

1 Zaxcom TRXCL3 transmitter

BDS Power with NP-1 battery

This bag works great I use my K-Tek Stingray harness to wear it on my chest when needed. But it's a heavy bag. So I have a smaller one too for simplier setups. 

Small bag: 

Sachtler Lightweight Audio bag Small  (I HATE this bag though)

Mixpre 6

I usually swap over 1 of the URC411 receivers if needed otherwise it's just a boom or external mic setup generally. 

I'd like to get a new small bag to replace my current small bag setup for when I just need 1 lav and a Boom or maybe 2 lavs and a boom solo setup. That stays fairly lightweight. I also will need Timecode generation and Zaxcom TRXCL4 transmitter. Due to this I'll be either getting another Mixpre 6 but the II version that'll do timecode. Or another mixpre 10 but a II. Then potentially get a Lectrosonics SRC dual receiver for 2 wireless when I need it but keeping the weight down. 

But I can' find a bag I like that isn't too big or too small. I like the Large Eargonizer from Sacthler and right now am leaning towards just getting the small one. I've also thought about the Film Devices Rack n Bag, but I still need the bag as I work outside most of the time and I don't love how that bag would allow for cable management for booms/externals with the bag on. 

So show me your rigs! Inspire me! Or just tell my your thoughts/suggestions. 

Thanks

I've pre-ordered a new Lectrosonics DSR4 receiver which will be much lighter than 4x 411 receivers.  One 4 channel lightweight receiver that doesn't care what block of transmitters you have (assuming you have something in the current legal bands).  DSR4 + SD 633 + Smart Battery + IFBT4 for hops/IFB will be my go to rig for 90% of what I do.

30 minutes ago, codyman said:

I've pre-ordered a new Lectrosonics DSR4 receiver which will be much lighter than 4x 411 receivers.  One 4 channel lightweight receiver that doesn't care what block of transmitters you have (assuming you have something in the current legal bands).  DSR4 + SD 633 + Smart Battery + IFBT4 for hops/IFB will be my go to rig for 90% of what I do.

Wow had not seen that. That seems like it would be a nice upgrade for the 411's. Will keep my eye on that unit. I only have 4 transmitters, 2 in block 20 and 2 in block 21. Hopefully they can work with this receiver, that would be very nice and would be light enough to run in both bags and same amount of wireless. 

2 minutes ago, Blackdawg said:

Wow had not seen that. That seems like it would be a nice upgrade for the 411's. Will keep my eye on that unit. I only have 4 transmitters, 2 in block 20 and 2 in block 21. Hopefully they can work with this receiver, that would be very nice and would be light enough to run in both bags and same amount of wireless. 

Covers every frequency from 470-608mhz so your transmitters will be compatible.

On 7/22/2022 at 3:44 PM, codyman said:

Covers every frequency from 470-608mhz so your transmitters will be compatible.

Yeah that looks like it would be a great way to down size my big bag and also expand my small bag for 2 rigs. Very cool. 

Think the 411a's have a flatter potential frequency response. But not sure that makes them better. Especially since 1 DSR4 weighs less than 1 411a ha!

What kind of bag are you using? 

50 minutes ago, Blackdawg said:

Yeah that looks like it would be a great way to down size my big bag and also expand my small bag for 2 rigs. Very cool. 

Think the 411a's have a flatter potential frequency response. But not sure that makes them better. Especially since 1 DSR4 weighs less than 1 411a ha!

What kind of bag are you using? 

I still have a 411a that I use on occasion and yes, the bar is set high with that one.  That being said, the DSR4 looks like it is cooking up to be pretty special so TBD.

I use a K-Tek Stingray bag right now but yes, thinking of going smaller for the new DSR4 setup.  Possibly just a smaller K-Tek bag maybe?

4 hours ago, codyman said:

I still have a 411a that I use on occasion and yes, the bar is set high with that one.  That being said, the DSR4 looks like it is cooking up to be pretty special so TBD.

I use a K-Tek Stingray bag right now but yes, thinking of going smaller for the new DSR4 setup.  Possibly just a smaller K-Tek bag maybe?

Yeah I can't see anything about when they are expected to be available either. 

I was eyeing the KTek stuff. But have read they aren't great for mixpre's since you have to get to the side for the main control knob. Which is a shame as I like the form factor and would love the external antenna mounts. 

Right now I'm struggling to find something better then the Small Eargonizer to get for a new small bag. Even though it's a bit bigger than I'd like. I really want the Rack n Bag but the bag on it is just not very practical. And i do too much outdoor stuff in not nice weather to not have a full bag setup. Wish the bag was more useable on that rig. 

Right now I'm using a MixPre-6 in a K-Tek Stingray MixPro bag with two Wisy Dual-Receivers and I really like it. It's super tight and I would definitely recommend using low-profile TA-3 and Hirose for the receivers. Otherwise there's not enough space on the bottom. In the front pouch I have my NP-F power distribution with two batteries which run at least 12 hours with both receivers in use. On the outside I have two ew500 tx as hop lines for boom and camera and a Tentacle Sync is attached on the inside of the right pouch. All in all it's 3.5 kg and I can carry it with only a hip-belt.

So yeah, that's my bag for the MixPre which works fine for me. Hope I could help.

MixPre1.jpeg

On 7/26/2022 at 5:10 AM, Sebi said:

Right now I'm using a MixPre-6 in a K-Tek Stingray MixPro bag with two Wisy Dual-Receivers and I really like it. It's super tight and I would definitely recommend using low-profile TA-3 and Hirose for the receivers. Otherwise there's not enough space on the bottom. In the front pouch I have my NP-F power distribution with two batteries which run at least 12 hours with both receivers in use. On the outside I have two ew500 tx as hop lines for boom and camera and a Tentacle Sync is attached on the inside of the right pouch. All in all it's 3.5 kg and I can carry it with only a hip-belt.

So yeah, that's my bag for the MixPre which works fine for me. Hope I could help.

MixPre1.jpeg

Awesome little kit!

How do you access the control knob of the mixpre? That's what's holding me back on the KTek bags and even the Orca ones..

10 hours ago, Blackdawg said:

Awesome little kit!

How do you access the control knob of the mixpre? That's what's holding me back on the KTek bags and even the Orca ones..

You access it by opening the zip on the right like you would to access inputs 3/4. But it‘s a little tricky for sure since that‘s where I hide my Tentacle. But I rarely use the control knob tbh. Headphone volume is set, gain and other settings I do mostly on the touch screen and for meta data I use the Wingman App.  

On 7/30/2022 at 12:48 AM, pscottm said:

I’m happy w this small bag.  It’s custom made by Protogear.  It is pictured here w one Wisycom MCR54 and a 98wH smart battery that easily powers everything for a 10hr day without ever powering off.  

B97B91FC-740C-4F03-8B64-81D2BF4AED20.jpeg

Hello,

Do you need the external battery? Couldn't you power your rig configuration for 10 hours, with the internal battery only and Hirose out from the RX-R4+?

Thanks

Patrick

Patrick, I could power it most of the day but certainly not 10 hrs.  I’d probably want an external batt to keep me powered on while changing the internal battery, or I suppose could swap out at lunch, however I like the security of one external battery w internal as backup.  I never have to think about it.  The weight difference is noticeable but not a big deal w a bag this small.  

• 2 weeks later...