Sennheiser G3 for monitoring

Fernando

Hi all,

Anyone tested the G3 system for monitoring?

Receiver is speced as line out with 7 steps of level, anyone tried headphones with it?

BTOH, anyone tested an SK2000 tx with a G3 receiver?

I read the SK2000 is compatible with the 500-G2, so it may work with the G3...

I ask because the US version of the SK2000 can be set up to 100mW and I'd like that for my IFBs.

Best,

Fernando

the setup usially for clients or for not acurate sound listening , works fine with 20$ chinese headphone with volume control .

with 12 db output it workable with 7506 as well  , just need to pusg the tx as high as possible and let the limmiter led goes up on high picks  from time to time

Thank you Oleg. One thing are clients on a commercial (wich may be exigent too) and another the director and producer of a feature. Anyway I always try to give them good sound and comfort to ensure they are listening and that the effort of providing the monitoring on set was worth.

The original poster wondered if it would work with $20-40 headphones.  I didn't figure critical listening was an issue.

I'm not looking about critical listening. Just acceptable quality monitoring, wich a system devoted to wireless mic transmission on a budget will provide.

I'm asking about experiences with G3 receivers and headphones and about SK2000 tx being compatible with G3 rxs.

Thank you

Fernando,

I'll test it out and let you know.  However some of my earlier experimentations with the G3 and Sony MDR7506's would lead me to believe that the signal is likely to be too low for use with headphones.  We'll see.

Tom

OK, I look fwd to your test. Thank you very much.

>>>

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2732095

Try one of these with your G2/3 and 7506s.

>>>

I'd like to avoid anything other than the receivers and headphones.

Maybe an inline volume control if

- it's rugged and

- the headphones are closed-back, comfortable and decent sounding

but I'd like to avoid that too if possible (inline vol)

Anyhow, the Bostaroo may help to feed Phonito's collar wich is a PITA without a pretty hot signal, thank you

Oleg recomended it time ago for something similar, iirc

i usually don't  care how good it sounds  as long it sounds ;-)

by the way on long projects i insist that the production will buy fe pares of cheap headphones for stuff usage as there are  always cajulties  in the field  . its like leicoplast , it expandable stuff :-)

For me good quality monitoring it's important. I will not extend about that in this thread though.

I also make them buy headphones often, but those being Sennheiser eH250 or similar.

" I read the SK2000 is compatible with the 500-G2, so it may work with the G3... "

you should have also read: " the spec's confirm that G3 transmission is compatible with G2, (and vice-versa)... "

" I'm asking about compat between G3 receivers and SK2000 transmitter. "

clue: it is on the Sennheiser web-sites as well as in their ads...

the setup usially for clients or for not acurate sound listening , works fine with 20$ chinese headphone with volume control .

with 12 db output it workable with 7506 as well  , just need to pusg the tx as high as possible and let the limmiter led goes up on high picks  from time to time

Well I just did a test with the G3 and some 7506 headphones.  What oleg said seems to be accurate.  You really have to push the sensitivity on the transmitter so the peak light is regularly coming on AND you must set the G3 receiver output to +12 to get a "moderate" listening level.  Of course there is no easy way for the average user to adjust the level to their phones, so it's certainly not a "user friendly" arrangement.  You would also have to "Y" cord the output of the G3 receiver so it connects to both the left and right sides of the headphones.  It seems to me this would be appropriate only for an "emergency" situation, but hardly suitable for day to day use.

Tom

I just wasted my money buying a few sets of G3's.  I was first using them for monitor sends since I didn't have a comtek at the time and was renting some lectro 411's.  I was having a lot of drop outs with them even after scanning and trying different channels.  I was line of site 50ft. away and in the middle of the Mojave desert getting drop outs... meanwhile, the 411's were rock solid.  After we were done, I returned the G3's and am about to drop big bucks on 2 new sets of Lectros, and never look back.

The G2/G3 are very useful for there price I bought the 2 sets I have used for $350.00 a set I use them for the following:

To feed a Remote Audio Speak Easy Speaker via mono mic out of 442 when I have more clients then comteks or clients request a speaker

Feed mono mix down to small format cut away camera or overhead  camera on a reality or doc show. Makes it easier for editor to sync things up if needed it is never requested but always appreciated

Use it so producers can have a constant feed in a talent car if we are doing driving stuff just tape a Lav to dash board and your good to go

Boom Op talk back if needed

Voice of God microphone

If we have a busy day on a reality gig and producer needs to go shoot something with a mini cam fits in hot shoe easily audio quality is good enough

Good as back up or spare wireless if needed.

Good investment for rental to local college film school kids I rent them for $50.00 each per day with Countryman EMW.

Every piece of gear has its place. I own 7 Lectros for talent wireless but the G2 is a powerful tool for the price

" in the middle of the Mojave desert getting drop outs...  "

Hi, and welcome...

this phenomenon was recently discussed here on jwsound in another thread...

it is worthwhile to spend some time reading the mail, and you will be rewarded for your time spent!.

and be sure to add to the "who I am" thread

" am about to drop big bucks on 2 new sets of Lectros "

a lot of us find that the Senn EVO RF's are great bang for the buck, but the rule is:

Generally speaking, you get what you pay for"