SD302 + internal 2 track recorder?

Robert Buncher

Since the introduction of the SD552 I have been wondering if Sound Devices might make an SD302 with an internal 2-track recorder. It would make for a very compact and light bag for those times when you only need a boom or boom and one or two wireless to one camera.

Perhaps an SD702 might serve the same purpose--I don't know as I have never used one.

Just searching for the ingredients for a very lightweight Eng bag.

Any thoughts?

Bob

The 702 can work stand alone but has a few limitations as a mixer, and only has 2 inputs.

Regarding the 702. I am guessing that the trim pots might be a problem riding as they are small and cover a lot of ground. I also don't see how you would be able to monitor a return from camera.

Back to my idle speculation on the 302 with internal recorder. It probably would not cannibalize Sound Devices recorder sales anymore than the 552.

Bob

That's one of the first things I thought of when I saw the 552. A 302 with a built in recorder and a fourth channel. With a mini-XLR input and a slightly smaller meter on its face, it's not too hard to imagine.

Building a light ENG bag has been my mission for a while. I've got the Petrol 302 bag & harness, the 302, an Edirol R-09HR, and a pair of 100 Series Lectros. I recently got SMD and SMQ transmitters, and I'm aiming to get an SR receiver and a BDS (with that light B4B NP1 you told me about). Then I'll use the 100's as a hop.

If I could swap the 302 out for a new one with 4 channels and a recorder, I would do it. If it was just a 302 with a built in recorder, it wouldn't be worth it for me.