Sound comment

drpro

My wife and I have been binge watching all of the seasons of the series "Longmire". 

Been to many of the locations that the series was filmed at.  Walt's cabin in the Valle's Caldera offers amazing vistas and is worth a visit if you are ever in the area.

My observation is regarding the quality of the sound.  Before Netflix took over production, it was of a high quality.  We are currently watching Netflix produced episodes.  Apparently wireless lavs became the standard. Rarely hear a boom in many of the scenes.  Lavs poorly concealed, many cases of clothing noise, a large disparity in levels between actors and comb filtering occurring when actors are very close to each other.

I don't know if these sound issues occurred because of production wanting to safe money, move faster or lack of experience on the sound crew, whether production or post.

Sadly I find myself focusing of the poor sound instead of the story. 

19 hours ago, drpro said:

Apparently wireless lavs became the standard. Rarely hear a boom in many of the scenes.  Lavs poorly concealed, many cases of clothing noise, a large disparity in levels between actors and comb filtering occurring when actors are very close to each other.

Seems also a post production issue. Probably they saved money (aka time, pro gear and qualified staff).

• 2 weeks later...

I know that I’m late to the game on this show, but I just started watching “Medici” on Netflix, and the dialogue is just plain terrible. I can’t understand half of it, and it is muddy and phasey, as well buried under other things in the mix, such as the M&E tracks. I’m sure that it was recorded well, I don’t detect much ADR, although with those outfits I’m sure there is plenty, but I haven’t NOT understood more dialogue in a show in I don’t know how long. 

I have excellent hearing, an above usual hi-fi setup, and I understand accents quite well, having lived abroad for many years and speaking more than a couple languages. 

What is with this mix? Yes there are whisper actors but all the dialogue is buried in one way or another. I don’t get how this passed QC! Back when I did restoration work and surround mixing we would have never let this through. Why do streaming companies that do original content cut such crucial corners? I know that camera has been put on a ridiculous pedestal lately, but really, sound is 51% of a show at the least. If we can’t understand what people are saying, what’s the point of the show? Come on people.