Regulations Gone Wild

(This was sent to me a couple of weeks ago..... regarding our current state of affairs.

I feel it's worth a read - it is non-partisan.  I've been thinking about it for weeks. Gov't is clearly out of control - OUR control, and we, the people, need to get it back, and NOW)

===============================================

Every citizen needs to read this and think about what this journalist has scripted in this message. 

Read it and then think about our current political debacle, and yes - it is a debacle.

Charley Reese has been a journalist for 49 years.

545  PEOPLE

By Charlie Reese

Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them.

Have you ever wondered, if both the Democrats and the Republicans are against deficits, WHY do we have deficits?

Have you ever wondered, if all the politicians are against inflation and high taxes, WHY do we have inflation and high taxes?

You and I don't propose a federal budget.  The president does.

You and I don't have the Constitutional authority to vote on appropriations. The House of Representatives does.

You and I don't write the tax code, Congress does.

You and I don't set fiscal policy, Congress does.

You  and I don't control monetary policy, the Federal Reserve Bank does.

One hundred senators, 435 congressmen, one president, and nine Supreme Court justices equates to 545 human beings out of the 300 million are directly, legally, morally, and individually responsible for the domestic problems that plague this country.

I excluded all the special interests and lobbyists for a sound reason.. They have no legal authority.  They have no ability to coerce a senator, a congressman, or a president to do one cotton-picking thing.  I don't care if they offer a politician $1 million dollars in cash.  The politician has the power to accept or reject it. No matter what the lobbyist promises, it is the legislator's responsibility to determine how he votes.

Those 545 human beings spend much of their energy convincing you that what they did is not their fault.  They cooperate in this common con regardless of party.

What separates a politician from a normal human being is an excessive amount of gall..  No normal human being would have the gall of a Speaker, who stood up and criticized the President for creating deficits..  The president can only propose a budget.  He cannot force the Congress to accept  it.

The Constitution, which is the supreme law of the land, gives sole responsibility to the House of Representatives for originating and approving appropriations and taxes.  Who is the speaker of the House? Nancy Pelosi.  She is the leader of the majority party.  She and fellow House members, not the president, can approve any budget they want.  If the president vetoes it, they can pass it over his veto if they agree to.

It seems inconceivable to me that a nation of 300 million cannot replace 545 people who stand convicted -- by present facts -- of  incompetence and irresponsibility.  I can't think of a single domestic problem that is not traceable directly to those 545 people.  When you fully grasp the plain truth that 545 people exercise the power of the federal government, then it must follow that what exists is what they want to exist.

If the tax code is unfair, it's because they want it unfair.

If the budget is in the red, it's because they want it in the red ..

If the Army & Marines are in IRAQ ,  it's because they want them in IRAQ

If they do not receive social security but are on an elite retirement plan not available to the people, it's because they want it that way.

There are no insoluble government problems..

Do not let these 545 people shift the blame to bureaucrats, whom they hire and whose jobs they can abolish; to lobbyists, whose gifts and advice they can reject; to regulators, to whom they give the power to regulate and from whom they can take this power.  Above all, do not let them con you into the belief that there exists disembodied mystical forces like "the economy," "inflation," or "politics" that prevent them from doing what they take an oath to do.

Those 545 people, and they alone, are responsible.

They, and they alone, have the power.

They, and they alone, should be held accountable by the people who are their bosses.

Provided the voters have the gumption to manage their own employees.

We should vote all of them out of office and clean up their mess!

Charlie Reese is a former columnist of the Orlando Sentinel Newspaper.

What you do with this article now that you have read it.......... Is up to you.

This might be funny if it weren't so darned true.

Be sure to read all the way to the end:

Tax his land,

Tax his bed,

Tax the table

At which he's fed.

Tax his tractor,

Tax his mule,

Teach him taxes

Are the rule.

Tax his work,

Tax his pay,

He works for peanuts

Anyway!

Tax his cow,

Tax his goat,

Tax his pants,

Tax his coat.

Tax his ties,

Tax his shirt,

Tax his work,

Tax his dirt.

Tax his tobacco,

Tax his drink,

Tax him if he

Tries to think.

Tax his cigars,

Tax his beers,

If he cries

Tax his tears.

Tax his car,

Tax his gas,

Find other ways

To tax his ass.

Tax all he has

Then let him know

That you won't be done

Till he has no dough.

When he screams and hollers;

Then tax him some more,

Tax him till

He's good and sore.

Then tax his coffin,

Tax his grave,

Tax the sod in

Which he's laid.

Put these words

Upon his tomb,

Taxes drove me

to my doom...'

When he's gone,

Do not relax,

It's time to apply

The inheritance tax. 

Accounts Receivable Tax

Building Permit Tax

CDL license Tax

Cigarette Tax

Corporate Income Tax

Dog License Tax

Excise Taxes

Federal Income Tax

Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA)

Fishing License Tax

Food License Tax

Fuel Permit Tax

Gasoline Tax (currently 44.75 cents per gallon)

Gross Receipts Tax

Hunting License Tax

Inheritance Tax

Inventory Tax

IRS Interest Charges IRS Penalties (tax on top of tax)

Liquor Tax

Luxury Taxes

Marriage License Tax

Medicare Tax

Personal Property Tax

Property Tax

Real Estate Tax

Service Charge Tax

Social Security Tax

Road Usage Tax

Sales Tax

Recreational Vehicle Tax

School Tax

State Income Tax

State Unemployment Tax (SUTA)

Telephone Federal Excise Tax

Telephone Federal Universal Service Fee Tax

Telephone Federal, State and Local Surcharge Taxes

Telephone Minimum Usage Surcharge Tax

Telephone Recurring and Non-recurring Charges Tax

Telephone State and Local Tax

Telephone Usage Charge Tax

Utility Taxes

Vehicle License Registration Tax

Vehicle Sales Tax

Watercraft Registration Tax

Well Permit Tax

Workers Compensation Tax

STILL THINK THIS IS FUNNY? Not one of these taxes existed 100 years ago, and our nation was the most prosperous in the world.  We had absolutely no national debt, had the largest middle class in the world, and Mom stayed home to raise the kids.

What in the hell happened? Can you spell 'politicians?'

And I still have to 'press 1' for English!?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(This was sent to me a couple of weeks ago..... regarding our current state of affairs.

I feel it's worth a read - it is non-partisan.  I've been thinking about it for weeks. Gov't is clearly out of control - OUR control, and we, the people, need to get it back, and NOW)

===============================================

Michael I couldn't agree more!  What a great article.  Doesn't matter what side of the aisle you align yourself with there is nothing in that article that can be disputed IMO.  The big question is what can "we the people" do about this?  This thread is a microcosm of the opinions that exist out in the public. Points out the plain truth that its not just one party's "fault" but the government as a whole that has gotten out of control.  At least that's the way I see it.  Sadly, our politicians either don't know or don't care what is truly best for the country, its all about agenda.  Their agenda.  Pointing fingers at whatever party you oppose is counter productive when in fact we should work together to hold all government accountable.

Bernie

"facepalm"

If our forefathers could see us now.What would they think?

Could they imagine all the bs that goes on today.

I wonder what our forefathers would say today.

I'm guessing they would wish the American public would see it as a responsibility to be an informed voter...Then actually take a walk to the ballot box once in a while.

We have nobody to blame but ourselves. After all, <i>we</i> elect the government in this federal constitutional republic. By the people, for the people, and all that.

...Pointing fingers at whatever party you oppose is counter productive when in fact we should work together to hold all government accountable.

Now, we're getting closer to the core of the issue.  How many people here have ever practiced prestidigitation?  Magic...slight of hand.  We've all at least watched it and enjoyed the mystifying wonder when it's well done.  Think a minute...  What's the number one tactic you learn in order to pull off even simple illusions?

Misdirection!

You make the audience watch your left hand while your right hand sneaks something by them.

Democrats point at the Republicans and say they're unfeeling corporate puppets.  Republicians point at the Democrats and say they're out to buy votes with giveaway programs.  The public chooses sides and points fingers, too.  Look at the slavish passion with which most most people follow their red or blue leaders.

Red and blue, right and left, republican and democrat finger pointing is MISDIRECTION... a silent conspiracy to keep the public from becoming aware of what is actually happening:  we're being ravaged by money hungry, power hungry career politicians!  Their hands aren't just in the cookie jar, they've grabbed the jar and they're running away with it.

If you want to find the truth in almost any situation, you look at a person's actions, not their words.  What do we see in this case?  Both "sides" are grabbing at power with a fervor that only goes undetected because we, the people, are buying into the misdirection.

A simple, but dramatic, "for instance" is the banking (so called) "crisis."

Who is charged with banking oversight?  Congress.  When their oversight allows massive profiteering what is the follow-up act performed by these "magicians?"  They hand those very profiteers unprecedented fistfuls of money.  Those are the actions.

It's simple and you've heard it before:  "Follow the money."

What's the answer?  I'm convinced there's only one solution:  Term limits.  ALL elected officials are allowed only ONE term.  If a term is too short, say for the House of Representatives, then we lengthen it a bit, but one term is the limit.

An important stipulation:  No office holder is allowed to campaign for any other office while still serving.  They're elected (hired) to do a job and, while hired, all their efforts should be directed toward performing that job for the good of the public -- not toward advancing their career.

Our founding fathers intended that citizens would leave their farm, their blacksmith shop, their job as a laborer and serve the public good, then return to their farm, blacksmith shop, or their job as a laborer.

Career politicians are the problem, and getting rid of career politicians is the only solution.

Until the public wakes up to the misdirection and the conspiracy being perpetrated by it, there's little hope of change.

John B.

Our founding fathers intended that citizens would leave their farm, their blacksmith shop, their job as a laborer and serve the public good, then return to their farm, blacksmith shop, or their job as a laborer.

Career politicians are the problem, and getting rid of career politicians is the only solution.

Until the public wakes up to the misdirection and the conspiracy being perpetrated by it, there's little hope of change.

John B.

I'm still torn on term limits, but I agree, career politicians are the problem.  They work to keep themselves in office instead of working for the good of the country.  And when they leave office, most of them go on to be lobbyists.

Perhaps, politician's paychecks should be token payments for genuine service to the country and tied to the median income in the country, instead of the obscene  amounts they are now paying themselves.  Maybe then we would have fewer career politicians.  Take the profit out of it and the problem will go away.  Serving your country should not be a windfall.

I'm still torn on term limits, but I agree, career politicians are the problem.  They work to keep themselves in office instead of working for the good of the country.  And when they leave office, most of them go on to be lobbyists.

Perhaps, politician's paychecks should be token payments for genuine service to the country and tied to the median income in the country, instead of the obscene  amounts they are now paying themselves.  Maybe then we would have fewer career politicians.  Take the profit out of it and the problem will go away.  Serving your country should not be a windfall.

I don't believe term limits is the answer.  I believe, as you say, taking the profit out of office is.  If there's a politician who gets in and does an awesome job (rare, I know) I don't want them to leave right in the middle of getting the job done.  On the other hand - your comment about income is spot on.  I would amend that slightly to say the median income of the community they represent.  And the representatives of the state are paid by the state not the federal coffers.  I would eliminate any pension.  And make it a criminal offense to go to work for a business sector they had influence over while serving in congress. (i.e. defense contractors, investment firms, etc.) 

" Two F-16s were launched at 11:44 a.m. to catch up with AirTran Airways Flight 39 from Atlanta to San Francisco after a report that an intoxicated passenger had locked himself in a bathroom,  "

Of course: " What purpose is there in scrambling the fighters, to shoot the plane down and kill everyone on board? "

" TSA employees are not unionized, but the American Federation of Government Employees is representing him, .... The TSA has said the guard has been on administrative leave since Tuesday...The officer, who has been with the agency for 2 1/2 years, previously received a commendation for job performance "

maybe this "model employee" should be paying the fine! (instead of being paid to stay home!)...

at least they didn't send tanks to the airport to start shelling it! or launch cruise missiles...!!

guess the blue shirts with real badges upgrade was not enough... they need guns!

thus: "security theater"

I respectfully, but STRONGLY, disagree about a salary adjustment being adequate.  Do you really think their turning their backs on the financial world's abuses was because their base income was above the median?  Quite the contrary.  The less their income, the more the incentive for them to form the "alliances" that are already a major part of the problem.

First, they ignore their duty to regulate the financial industry, then they hand them a fistful of money to "solve the problem."

Again, I say:  "Follow the money."

Nope, term limits is the only realistic solution I see, but the public would need to rise up with a unified voice for it to become even possible.

John B.

maybe this "model employee" should be paying the fine! (instead of being paid to stay home!)...

at least they didn't send tanks to the airport to start shelling it! or launch cruise missiles...!!

thus: "security theater"

The news reports I've seen say that the TSA employee was called away to deal with another issue. Best not to jump to conclusions, tempting as that often is.

This entire thread has been characterized by jumping to conclusions.

The immediate response from government agencies does seem to have been a bit knee-jerk but that's now settling down a bit and procedural changes are more focused, less scatter-gun. Still room for improvement on that score.

David Waelder

The news reports I've seen say that the TSA employee was called away to deal with another issue. Best not to jump to conclusions, tempting as that often is.

This entire thread has been characterized by jumping to conclusions.

The immediate response from government agencies does seem to have been a bit knee-jerk but that's now settling down a bit and procedural changes are more focused, less scatter-gun. Still room for improvement on that score.

David Waelder

Wait, this is the TSA guy who guards the out door so people can't get in and there's no replacement for him when he has to leave? I don't buy that premise for 1 second.

Eric

While we're holding or breath waiting for term limits or financial restrictions on our illustrious congressmen - let's work on putting people in our state legislatures that are willing to claim their tenth amendment rights to nullify the unconstitutional garbage coming out of DC. 

Even after all of the media coverage about how things get past security and that the guards are only human and make mistakes. This one,  a few days after the Xmas day incident leave you wondering.

Using a real passenger (without their knowledge) and planting explosives to test the sniffer dogs. The dogs missed the real stuff but found the fake. The got distracted and forgot the real stuff.

They left the explosives in his luggage and loaded it on the plane......

http://www.calgarysun.com/news/world/2010/01/06/12364556.html

I was in Slovakia when this happened....  I am not at all that surprised...  It's an interesting place, full of surprises...  They do some strange things....  What can you say...  

Remember those very sophisticated, smart, savvy, technically advanced  Americans with all the computerized crap available to mankind, including  the millions of people to run it just let the guy on the flight with the explosives, and they KNEW about him before the incident... 

So, a couple of Slovaks testing security botching their little plan is again, no real surprise...  the Americans little botch was much more surprising to me.... 

" The TSA employee was called away to deal with another issue. "

well, first, let's hire a lot more of these wanna be cops, give them guns, and of course, promote the idiot who called away the one person guarding the exit, instead of sending one of the many folks standing around the body search lanes, moving the baskets from one end of the conveyor belt to the other, and as the arrogant NJ senator says, throw the book at the student;and Oh, yeah, throw the book at that unsuspecting passenger, too. (not just searching the bag, but adopting it as their prop, and placing contraband in it!! see how officials overstep their authority??) that will teach 'em!