Very strange distortion

Npoberaj

Ok,

I have never had this problem before but I was doing a simple sit down interview with a southern man. The workflow was Cmit 5U into a SD 788T via xlr, And B6 on 400A to 411A. At points when the man started speaking at a higher level like at the beginning of a sentence or got excited, his voice would distort. But the levels on the 788T got no where even near the limiter, or they got to about -8 or -6 db. The same problem was NOT occurring with other people with no such accent. Any ideas??

Thanks,

Np

Hey Grant,

The problem was I didnt really hear it during the interview, but when played back through 788T you could sorda notice it, and when played back through final cut, wave agent ect... off a lap top you could definitely notice it. And we were thinking its a lap top issue but I dont think it is. Its just his voice doesnt sound good, and is all crackly and distorted during these random peaks.

Nejc

Look to see what the threshold is on the 788T and if you have it set for soft or hard knee limiting.  You might be easily engaging the limiter at -8 in soft knee mode.  My experience with the 788T limiters has been very poor, and perhaps the peaks in a particular frequency in his voice are setting it off.  The limiter is software-based, so perhaps there is a problem with his voice and how it reacts with the machine.  Try setting the limiter for hard knee and set a higher threshold, or simply record at a lower level.  The audio quality will be just fine with the quality of the equipment.

Robert

So the distortion is on both the boom & radio tracks and not an equipment issue, then:

It's possible that he actually sounds like that, I've noticed it happen with several people

(all men) over the years.

Did you take the headphones off and listen to him?

Grant.

I've also had this happen a few times, with a KMR81 and an MK41, and I think, only on men's voices. It's usually a syllable, the start of a word after a breath is taken, or when an interviewee "pushes" a word, but it's not a level problem. Is there such a thing as "voice distortion", a voice that's just very difficult to record properly?

The last time this happened, I took great care to listen to the man's voice after the interview and thought; "Yeah... maybe it's his voice" but it really wasn't conclusive.