Mounting an action cam on a working mic boom for sequence shots

I am not even sure where to put this topic, so it ends up in the camera department.

I've seen some shots on YT some time ago with some GoPro or alike on a boom during take in the past. I can't find them anymore, but it was, in a way, pretty cool portraying our craft.

It seems I have a 20min or so sequence shot coming up in a month or so. Hidden cuts expected. Booming this, I'd love to provide some making of footage.

So far, the lightest thing my research found was the DJI Action 2, but it's the mounting accessories and their weight specs. struggle me.

Has anyone done such a thing in the past or watched it or has any other thoughts beyond "don't put more weight on the boom on sequence shots".

And BTW sequence shot experience is also welcome, though I do have some.

Thnx

Great idea, but weight would really concern me too as a boom operator. But if the boom is cabled and the transmitter is on the bottom, A tiny camera like that might not make all that much difference at the end of the pole. 

But even though it's cool, do you really have to put it on the end of the pole looking at the operator? I mean, putting it on the chest or the head of the operator might be equally fascinating. 

On 8/4/2022 at 7:16 AM, Olle Sjostrom said:

do you really have to put it on the end of the pole looking at the operator?

The frame will roughly be the POV of the mic but with the mic slightly on the edge of the frame. It can be used in sync, split screen or PiP, with the actual footage or other making of cameras.

7 hours ago, DanieldH said:

The frame will roughly be the POV of the mic but with the mic slightly on the edge of the frame. It can be used in sync, split screen or PiP, with the actual footage or other making of cameras.

Yes, of course, that makes a lot more sense :) 
Well why not try it? My experience is that static booming is difficult and heavy, while running and/or moving a lot is a lot easier. In those cases I can go on for a very long time, however heavy the pole. Standing still however...  

• 4 weeks later...

Definitely have thought about doing this myself, closest I've ever gotten is putting a phone in my boom bag with my MM-1 and facing the lens out. Would love to see the results whenever you get them!

(Also probably a bit too late, but a Ktek Squid might have worked as a mounting option. Hard to do fine adjustments though to get that mic in the shot)

On 8/4/2022 at 5:16 PM, Olle Sjostrom said:

But even though it's cool, do you really have to put it on the end of the pole looking at the operator? I mean, putting it on the chest or the head of the operator might be equally fascinating. 

Or even mounting it say half way along the pole could still give a very interesting perspective, while not being nearly as much weight as putting the camera on the most extreme end of the pole itself.