Radio comm system that can tune in wireless mics

Micah Henry

Speaking of Walkie-Talkie-like Intercoms: Even with analogue, if you get it working, it will probably sound horrible due to the different compander modes. Pumping and noisy.

Additionally Walkie Talkies are very narrow band (e.g. 20 kHz) while wireless mics / IEMs are up to 200 kHz.

Also Comm systems like that aren't designed to receive audio all the time. While receiving they consume very much power and may get hot. Some systems will quit permanent reception after a while.

Two-way radios (Motorola) generally operate in the 46x.xxx and 151.xxx bands. I think you would have to build a bridge, ie. send a feed to a dedicated two-way from an output of your mixer. Of course you will need to latch the transmit mode to always on.

On 8/6/2022 at 5:01 PM, Micah Henry said:

Hey there, does anyone know of a system that can do this? almost a two way radio that I can bank wireless frequencies so they can act as IFBs and communications between crew? would that work, VHF vs. UHF wise?

Thanks!

It worked in the '90s, when precious little else was available and all wireless radio mics were single channel units. I was using portable Wide-Band Ham Radio/Scanners as receivers. They did not sound good but they sort of worked. Better than nothing when cabled IFB would get in the way.

I upgraded to a real IFB system ('Lectro) as quickly as possible.

They work so much better.

If you need an IFB system, get an IFB system.

If you need Coms... get Coms.

IFB and Coms are profitable, if you are billing for them.

Cheers,

Tim

On 8/7/2022 at 12:48 AM, Philip Perkins said:

Was possible in old analog VHF wireless (we used to carry a scanner around with our freqs programmed into it), with later hybrid and digital, not.

Surprisingly it is still possible with Lectrosonics digital hybrid.  At least, we use a consumer scanner marketed toward motorsports and whatever it uses (almost for sure plain old FM demodulation) is sufficient to have an intelligible signal that reveals at least big problems like a bad mic connection or clothes rustle.

On 8/22/2022 at 7:17 PM, glenn said:

Zaxcom URX100 IFB receivers interface with Motorola walkies and also listen to any Zaxcom bodypack or cart transmitter at the same time. It might be the bridge you are looking for. 

Glenn

While I don’t think it’s what the OP is looking for, the URX ability to tune into and audition talent mics without having to go through the cart is huge for me. It’s a unit/functionality i wanted for years before the URX came out and has changed the way me and my team work for the better.