Need Crew w/ Own Equipment (no pay)?? lol

Zack

I've been watching Mandy like a hawk this last year (desperate for work), but there's always some post like "no budget need crew".  I mean.... I really don't understand this, or how people with their own gear get by with this kind of expectation (if they're actually working these?).  I feel I've done my fair share of freebies now, and since investing heavily into gear to work larger and more professional jobs I find it aggravating as hell to see expectations like this.  Am I alone?  Why would anyone with their own equipment go work a gig for 8+ hours for free?  How do you more seasoned mixers deal with rate grinders and producers that think what we do is inexpensive?

Just don't apply. I have worked on free sets before to build my resume and sometimes I'll negotiate at least a kit fee. Sometimes they can come up with something.

Nicole

If they ask you to work for free, and you agree, you can always try asking them if they got the camera and lights for free.  Sometimes the answer is yes, so you're out of luck, but if they paid for some gear then it's a good argument to pay for yours.  More often than not, our investment is as least as much as a camera typically used on a "freebie".

I usually only work for free/cheap if it's with someone I know and/or trust.

Robert

I usually only work for free/cheap if it's with someone I know and/or trust.

Robert

Me too, last time I did a freebie was on a nearby island. I looked upon it as an excuse to do some nature recording at a great location in my down time. Turned out the director was full of s**t and we "worked" 12hr days plus because she was so unorganised. I ended up refusing to plug into the camera...

Now I just say no unless the person is a personal friend that has an industry record.

But in saying that... around ten years ago I worked on a project that travelled around the world for a month , included driving across the US and through Europe for a friend of a friend. I managed to negotiate a fee that was close to my average monthly income (the only paid crew member!) and don't regret it at all. Pity all offers that followed were a waste of time.

I suppose the moral of the story is that you will work on some freebie turkeys but you never know whats around the corner... networking is everything.

Regards,

Grant.

I held out for a fee on a very low budget feature where others were getting $100 a day including the DP...it was a complex shoot so they needed me...I got my normal fee for the job...the post production supervisor said my department was the only one to get it totally right.