Why is music and sound effects louder than dialogue in movies?

johndillinger

Embroidery Machine Buying Guide: Questions to Ask and Mistakes to Avoid

Embroidery machines are truly transformative, magically turning everyday items into extraordinary pieces of art. Imagine effortlessly adorning shirts, bags, and so much more with enchanting embroidery designs, all without the painstaking hand stitching traditionally associated with this craft.

However, the thought of owning the isUCTij.gif best embroidery machine for shirts can be daunting. The perceived high cost and the overwhelming task of commencing your search can be intimidating. Fear not, I’m here to help! Drawing from my personal experience, while I cherish my embroidery machine, there are certain aspects of the purchase I wish I could redo. Allow me to assist you in making an informed decision and share 9 common pitfalls to sidestep when buying your first embroidery machine.

ETYr7Uu.jpg

Mistakes to Avoid When Buying Your First Embroidery Machine

Ignoring Your Specific Needs: It's vital to consider the type of projects you will be working on. If you're focused on adorning shirts, for example, prioritize finding the good embroidery machine for shirts.

Neglecting Brand Reputation: Quality often correlates with the brand's reputation. Ensure you are investing in one of the best embroidery machine brands available in the market.

Opting for the Cheapest Option: While cost is an important factor, the best inexpensive embroidery machine may not necessarily meet your needs. It's essential to balance cost with functionality and durability.

Overlooking Machine Size and Weight: Consider the space you have available and if you will need to move the machine regularly.

Neglecting After-Sales Support: Look for brands that offer excellent customer service and technical support.

Not Considering Machine Capabilities: Be aware of the machine's maximum embroidery area, stitch speed, and if it has a USB port for importing designs.

Not Doing Enough Research: Read reviews on the iMw3uue.gif best embroidery machines, join online forums, and ask other embroidery enthusiasts for their opinions before making a decision.

Skipping the Warranty: Don't overlook the importance of a warranty. It's a safety net that could save you from expensive repairs.

Rushing the Purchase: Take your time to make a well-informed decision. The right machine can turn a hobby into a passion!

p7r8WE3.jpg

Questions to Ask Before Buying an Embroidery Machine

What is the maximum embroidery area of the machine? This refers to the largest design the machine can embroider in one go. You should make sure that it will fit your needs, especially if you're looking for the best embroidery machine for shirts.

What is the stitches per minute (SPM) rate? The stitch speed can influence how quickly you can complete projects. The expensive embroidery machine has a higher SPM but remember that speed should not compromise the quality of the output.

Does the machine have built-in designs and fonts? Built-in designs provide variety and can be particularly beneficial for beginners.

Is there a USB port for importing designs? A USB port allows you to import designs downloaded from the internet, enhancing your creativity.

What type of file format does the machine read? Machine embroidery designs come in various formats. Ensure the format you plan to use is compatible with your machine.

What is the after-sales support like? Good customer service and technical support are vital, especially for troubleshooting.

Sum Up

If you're on the hunt for the Ct5BMxjPhU5EL1o32VBPxaOS8QQUiHQ07kNp6JZk best inexpensive embroidery machine, remember to assess several key factors: the maximum embroidery area, embroidery speed, built-in designs and fonts, USB port availability, file format compatibility, user-friendliness, and after-sales support. Don't rush the purchase decision. Take the time to thoroughly research, ask questions, and compare different models. With the right machine, your embroidery hobby could blossom into a passion project, potentially even a profitable business. Choose wisely and let your creativity flourish!

I have considered that, at least in my case, the overwhelming M&E is due to the fact that I listen to my TV through two speakers.  I know, old skool but if the dialog is, at least, mixed LCR, am I losing the dialog because I have no "C"?

I'd o LCR if I had somewhere not so completely ugly as the only place to put a center speaker.  I just live with it, but it's a "thing" for certain.

D.

4 hours ago, tourtelot said:

I have considered that, at least in my case, the overwhelming M&E is due to the fact that I listen to my TV through two speakers.  I know, old skool but if the dialog is, at least, mixed LCR, am I losing the dialog because I have no "C"?

I'd o LCR if I had somewhere not so completely ugly as the only place to put a center speaker.  I just live with it, but it's a "thing" for certain.

D.

Like I said--the downmix should work well if the 5.1 mix was good.  If the mix doesn't work in stereo then it probably didn't work in 5.1 either.

8 hours ago, tourtelot said:

am I losing the dialog because I have no "C"?

Short answer is no.  I have a 5.1 setup with a dead tweeter in the centre speaker.  I routinely make my dialogue more audible by switching to a stereo downmix.  A default downmix mixes C into both L & R if C isn't present.

I'd venture a guess, based on my short experience in post on short turnarounds:

Everything is mixed in huge (at least that's my experience) rooms with very good acoustics, comfortable listening levels etc. Then when everything is edited and goea into final mix, there's not enough time to actually go through every line and every syllable to make them audible. Instead you put a chain of compressors and dynamic eqs on each channel of dialog, make that stem have a nice reading on the meter, maybe even out and level some runaway lines.

Then the fx and music comes in and you do the same kind of deal and you just look at the meters cause that's all you have time for, sort of. The music might even be pre-mixed  and have a good loudness level, but the meters and LUFS readings have to match so that the dynamic range isn't too big or whatnot.

This is an extreme case, but I have seen at least one mixer churn out episodes this way, year after year. And they all sound not good. 

But I have to say I don't really agree with mixes. I watch netflix and HBO a lot and I have no issues at all. The times I do have issues is more like artistic choice with low dialog or mumbling actors. 

Now that you mention the font size of that OP message is awfully suspicious! 

hopfully not fanning bot flames but on this subject i know it has been mentioned before but for the wife n i - subtitles are becoming the norm, if only to confirm what we think we hear

• 3 weeks later...

I don't buy the thought of low speaking talent, per se. That's what faders are for. However the frequency response difference between someone talking very low and that same person projecting can be markedly different. 

This conversation happens in circles with live bands and also mixing music for whatever these days has replaced CDs and vinyl. I rarely go out for music anymore, but when I did, it wasn't unusual for the vocals to be buried. Part of that is style (which I don't care for) and part of it is that if/when the band turns up, at some point you can't push the vocal any higher without causing feedback in the PA. 

In the case of mixing for release, I think the problem is usually a vocalist who is shy about his/her vocal ability (and they may be correct.) The other problem us that everyone in the band KNOWS THE WORDS. As a mixer, I don't, so if a vocal phrase gets lost, I want to do something to make it audible. 

• 3 months later...