DC power distribution box with fuel gauge

Hello everyone and best wishes for 2010 !

Here is a new power distribution box for sound bags :

http://www.audioroot.fr/audioroot-esmart-bg-d-power-adaptor-with-smart-fuel-gauge-product-15.html

It connects to our 37Wh, 75Wh and soon 95Wh smart lithium batteries and provides 4 protected DC outputs. A small OLED screen displays all battery information and predicts the remaining run time. Connectors are Switchcraft locking type and switchable 2 by 2 with 2 locking switches.

Here is a new power distribution box for sound bags :

http://www.audioroot.fr/audioroot-esmart-bg-d-power-adaptor-with-smart-fuel-gauge-product-15.html

It connects to our 37Wh, 75Wh and soon 95Wh smart lithium batteries and provides 4 protected DC outputs. A small OLED screen displays all battery information and predicts the remaining run time. Connectors are Switchcraft locking type and switchable 2 by 2 with 2 locking switches.

This looks like a very cool device or system approach to DC distribution --- I had not seen any of these products before. It's worth a look.

-  Jeff Wexler

post-1-130815084131_thumb.jpg

I think the pretty display would distract me from mixing!!

Looks like a very nice product.  Pros and cons as far as I'm concerned:

+ fantastic LED gauge

+ Looks like a solid construction

+ Batteries look nice as well

- Proprietary(?) batteries

- Expensive

- Only 4 outputs

- Giant switches that are just begging to get bumped in the middle of the take!!  (this is a big minus for me, they really need to be recessed switches)

However, it's good to see more options for bag-power distros.. I'm really hoping cable techniques (makers of battery bud) take note and come out with something new as well.

My wish-list for the ultimate distro:

1. 5-6 power outputs

2. Hirose jacks (or two versions one for the switchcraft guys and one with all hirose, all my cables are hirose dammit!)

3. A fuel gauge similar to this product (so sweet!)

4. Recessed MASTER on/off switch on the top of the unit.  I don't feel like I need multiple switches.

5. All cabling exiting bottom of unit

6. Small overall form-factor

Looks like a very nice product.  Pros and cons as far as I'm concerned:

+ fantastic LED gauge

- Expensive

- Only 4 outputs

- Giant switches that are just begging to get bumped in the middle of the take!!  (this is a big minus for me, they really need to be recessed switches)

However, it's good to see more options for bag-power distros.. I'm really hoping cable techniques (makers of battery bud) take note and come out with something new as well.

1. 5-6 power outputs

2. Hirose jacks (or two versions one for the switchcraft guys and one with all hirose, all my cables are hirose dammit!)

4. Recessed MASTER on/off switch on the top of the unit.  I don't feel like I need multiple switches.

I'll agree with everything Derek said except for the Hirose. I'm not a fan.

I especially don't agree with your proprietary power. Put a connector on your box for the DC in and let your customers decide how they want to power it. Other than that, nice box.

- Giant switches that are just begging to get bumped in the middle of the take!!  (this is a big minus for me, they really need to be recessed switches)

I can't tell for sure, but those look like they might be latching switches, they type you need to pull up on to change the position.  If so, accidentally bumping them is not a big issue.

I used that type of switch for the master switches on the control panel on my cart setup as a safeguard in case I'm working in my sleep sometime.

John B.

Looks like a very nice product.  Pros and cons as far as I'm concerned:

+ fantastic LED gauge

- Expensive

- Only 4 outputs

- Giant switches that are just begging to get bumped in the middle of the take!!  (this is a big minus for me, they really need to be recessed switches)

1. 5-6 power outputs

4. Recessed MASTER on/off switch on the top of the unit.  I don't feel like I need multiple switches.

I think it is a very nice system with an interesting color display with useful information. Regarding some of Derek's concerns:

The switches look to be locking types that require the toggle to be pulled before repositioning. This type of switch is more expensive and complex, but it is very unlikely to be accidentally switched (similar concepts are found on aircraft landing gear control switches -- the Beechcraft Baron comes to mind -- and I've used these switches on custom designed cart power controllers -- Peter Kurland's cart comes to mind).

Regarding Derek's wish list:

"...don't feel like I need multiple switches". Just so the information is out there, I'll mention that the RM remote meter for the Remote Audio BDS box (normally a 2-pushbutton delayed action on/off circuit for safety) can be configured for single button delayed operation, or dual button instant operation.

Also, since many have mentioned a preference for the 4-pin Hirose power connectors, there has been talk in the Remote Audio design room about a version of the BDSv3 with Hirose connectors. The reliability of the HRS connectors would be about the same as the switchcraft concentric connectors now being used (very reliable), but advantages of HRS connectors are a little quicker to connect/disconnect, and some standard power cables could be plugged directly into an HRS version of the BDS box. The drawback would be added expense (the box would need to be about US$150 more expensive, and the cables would be more expensive.

All that said, it would be interesting to hear from those who feel that an HRS connectored BDS box and cables would be worth an approximate 90% price increase.

Glen Trew

Pretty-- but even on my little rig I need more than 4 taps unless I use Ys.

Another model with 6 or 8 outputs is planned. A prototype with 12 outputs was built for a sound cart. This should also give birth to another model...

I can't tell for sure, but those look like they might be latching switches, they type you need to pull up on to change the position.  If so, accidentally bumping them is not a big issue.

John is right about that ...

I'll agree with everything Derek said except for the Hirose. I'm not a fan.

I especially don't agree with your proprietary power. Put a connector on your box for the DC in and let your customers decide how they want to power it. Other than that, nice box.

Our battery and fuel gauge system is actually a smart battery system. Each battery embeds a micro-controller that monitors the SoC (state of charge) and SoH (state of health) of the battery. Some large camera batteries use this technology but you will mainly find it on all laptop batteries. There are many NP style batteries and power distribution boxes out there. Our system is very different, but that is what we are looking for ... You can plug any battery to our power distribution system, but the fuel gauge will stay quiet because it won't have any micro-controller to communicate with ...

The eSMART BG-D will also be available with Hirose connectors. I also find these connectors great but they are really expensive. All our cables should also be available with Hirose connectors to ensure compatibility.

Antoine

• 4 weeks later...