Camera hops

bperlman

Happy New Year everyone.  Forgive me, I realize that this subject has been raised often over the years (yes, I reviewed all of the previous posts) but because of the constant evolution of wireless gear and electronic cameras, I'd love to get some feedback about what people are using for their camera hops.  As the cameras get smaller I'm finding that my use of Lectro 400s is meeting with more resistance.  Shooters don't like their size, don't want to wear a belt pack, back pack, etc etc.  I know what is available from Zaxcom, Lectrosonics, Sennheiser and Sony but what are folks actually using.  I wouldn't mind knowing what your dream rigs (when you win the lottery) would be either.

Let's have at it.

Bruce

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a big fan of the Audio Limiteds, but since the Zaxcom came out with the Stereo Receiver and the built in recording function of the transmitter I am now a fan of the Zaxcom. I really like the fact that I can have only one transmitter in my bag and the recording backup makes no need for a 722 or something similar. I have also been using them in some pretty though conditions (Extreme cold, Rainy wet muggy weather) and so far havent really had any problems. They do use a lot of power though comparing to the Audio limiteds and if the camera happens to be a small camera and has no power out for the receiver be ready to invest in some AA. But usually thats not a problem since production will pay for them anyways. Not to familiar with the Lectro SR but they are very light and small if that makes a difference.

My 2 cents,

Nejc P

I've been working a lot with really small cameras, and I want a smaller 2 ch hifi receiver than is currently available.  I thing the SR and the Zax stereo RX are very cool, but they are really too big to mount on the top of a Canon 5D or a "burrito cam" and not be very in the way.  A Zax or Lectro or etc RX that is the size of their TX is what I want.

Philip Perkins

I agree that some miniaturization is in order in the coming years..  Things are getting out of whack when the guts of the camera could fit into a 411 case 2 or 3 times. 

I'm in the same boat, wondering what the best solution is for the really tiny cameras.. obviously dual system but how best to sync without a slate is my main head-scratcher..  Thinking lectro ucr100 on cam recieving either a LTC signal or mono-reference. 

Anyone know how robust the reception is on the UCR100?

Bruce,

I also use the Zaxcom TRX900AA system as a camera hop. I was an adopter of this system long before the SR's made their mark, and I still prefer the Zaxcom system to the SR's. The TRX is very light weight(surprisingly), the recording feautres, single Tx, and most importantly, uses AA's. Looking at Scott's post, the Zaxcom seems like it would be actually smaller, and lighter than than the SR's. The price difference is rather large, but as you know the feature set is greater also. Outside of making the Rx's smaller the footprint on these cameras seem to be the same, or negligible. Good luck with your choice.

I also use the Zaxcom TRX900AA system as a camera hop. I was an adopter of this system long before the SR's made their mark, and I still prefer the Zaxcom system to the SR's. The TRX is very light weight(surprisingly), the recording feautres, single Tx, and most importantly, uses AA's.

I agree with everything Michael said. I prefer my Zaxcom as well for all the reasons listed

I use the Zaxcom as well, it is fantastic.

The only real benefits to the Lectro SR system is the ability to use the slot (on some cameras) and I really like the fact that the Tx's are "regular" and there are 2 of them, for those "just-in-case" situations.  I used to use 211's as hops, and it was convenient to just swap out one of my hops Tx's for a talent Tx when they were "breaking-off" or jumping in a car, helicopter, etc.

All that being said, having only 1 hop Tx (a la Zaxcom) is a real spacesaver is a small ENG kit.  It is also easier to power, cable and add a dipole antenna for better range.

I mentioned the Jimmy Box because your set up in your top picture just looks a little unwieldy. 

Actually the balance is not really changed when using the Jimmy Box since the RXs live directly under the center point of the camera.  I have not personally try to pan with the box in place but the many cameramen that I have use it with have ever mentioned that as a problem. I have been able to securely attache the Jimmy Box to the plate.  Many cameramen I work with like the additional handle that comes with the Jimmy Box.  Anyway to each their own.

I use a Stereo Zaxcom Rx for my hop and I am currently looking for a good way to externally power it while using my Jimmy Box.  The Battery needs to be a minimum of 9 volts.  I am looking for something like the size of the Sony you use but higher voltage.  If you have any ideas.

Andy 

Those are great solutions for EX-3-class cameras.  I'm looking for a solution for a camera about 1/3rd the size of those, and without any mount-friendly surfaces to velcro to.  So far we've been doing double system (no complaints from me) and using a Senn. G2 for a mono scratch feed.  But I know there will eventually be a backlash against the time/effort involved in double system and we'll have to get the "real-deal" camera hop happening for these little cameras, 2 chan, hifi etc., esp if the cam audio improves or even just adds a manual gain setting feature.

Philip Perkins

Andy,

You should look into something like this-

http://www.batteryspace.com/customizeli-ion18650battery111v2200mah2442wh42aratewithpcbandjstconnector.aspx

-JP

I use a Stereo Zaxcom Rx for my hop and I am currently looking for a good way to externally power it while using my Jimmy Box.  The Battery needs to be a minimum of 9 volts.  I am looking for something like the size of the Sony you use but higher voltage.  If you have any ideas.

Andy   

• 2 weeks later...

You have to use the STA100/150 in order to get stereo to the cameras. Otherwise the TRX is mono.

Yeah, I understand that. But since I haven't heard anyone mention this as a system they use, I'm wondering why not?  Is anything lost in this adapted 2 channel system - i.e. audio quality, reliability etc.?  Obviously, you can't have independent control of each channel but you could do that at your mixer output.

On another note, I currently use the Lectrosonics LMa & UCR100 as hops for scratch feeds.  They work well for that use but really aren't up to more than that.  The LMa's are digital hybrid and sound fine, but the weak link, quality wise, is the UCR100 which is analog.  I've recently experimented with two LMa's (since I already own them) to a Lectrosonics SR and have been impressed with the results.  Although the LMa's are lower powered, I'm usually close to the camera(s) and signal strength is not an issue.  This may be a way to save some money while getting respectable results.

Just some more thoughts on the subject.

Bruce

Is anybody using the Zaxcom STA 100 or 150 stereo adaptor as a way to get two channels of audio to the camera (for the price of one transmitter & receiver + the adaptors)? I'm still looking for a new hop method.

Bruce

I use them quite extensively.

When they work, they work great.  Seems most of the bugs have been worked out.

The ability to back up your mix on the CF card is a nice bonus too.

Yeah, I understand that. But since I haven't heard anyone mention this as a system they use, I'm wondering why not?  Is anything lost in this adapted 2 channel system - i.e. audio quality, reliability etc.?  Obviously, you can't have independent control of each channel but you could do that at your mixer output.

Bruce, sorry if I'm stating things you already know, but the Zaxcom STA100 and 150 stereo adapter is used with the TRX900/AA systems that several people have commented on in earlier responses, including myself. In regards to performance, I can't detect any audio quality difference between the A/D happening in the STA vs the Tx. My unit has never failed, and I have never heard of anyone saying theirs failed. You do have input trim pots on the STA, but I suspect you were referring to a more accessible input control?

Another, benefit to the Zaxcom over the others is the metering. The early goldline versions were horrible, and very difficult to be thrown into and setup properly. The meters on the TRX are full range, and  unsegmented meters, and very easy to read.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Michael in that the older goldline zaxcoms are pretty user-unfriendly..  I recently bought one second-hand and have already used on some reality work with good results and the audio quality is high... but I think if you have the budget to buy a more current solution then do it.

The good thing is that it's mostly a set-it and forget-it device.  But if I was given one from production to use with no prior experience with it or user manual I'd be up a creek without the paddle.  The old red chucky-segmented lcd screen is horrible!  It looks like some device from the Delorian in back to the future!

I recently just got a Lectro SR with SMQVs that I'm using as a camera hop.  I'm trying to figure out the best settings this setup as I'm using it mostly for reality type stuff, primarily in conjunction with the Panasonic HVX.  Anyone out there using a similar setup that can recommend the ideal settings? 

I'm finding that line level out to the transmitters, even with padded cables, is a bit too hot for them. 

I recently just got a Lectro SR with SMQVs that I'm using as a camera hop.  I'm trying to figure out the best settings this setup as I'm using it mostly for reality type stuff, primarily in conjunction with the Panasonic HVX.  Anyone out there using a similar setup that can recommend the ideal settings? 

I'm finding that line level out to the transmitters, even with padded cables, is a bit too hot for them. 

Then set the mixer out to mic level if you can. Perhaps your padded cables don't have enough attenuation then 50db pads will do it for you.

Eric

Then set the mixer out to mic level if you can. Perhaps your padded cables don't have enough attenuation then 50db pads will do it for you.

I figured that the cables probably don't have enough attenuation for line level.  It's looking like the -10 consumer line level seems to yield the right levels to the transmitters.  I have the SR receiver outputting its max level at +5, and setting line in on the camera.  I believe that's the right way to go about it... I'm trying to get it to sound the cleanest from source to camera.