833 and Dante

chrisbakeruk

Hey All,

This isn't for a specific gig, just thinking generally and wondering if anyone else has cool setup for this. Has anyone tried implementing there 833 into Dante networks, perhaps with AES to Dante converters?

I bought my 833 with XL-AES about 8 months ago, and now I'm recently discovering Dante, and I'm sad that the 833 doesn't natively link with it. :(

Anyone got any cool ideas?

There are lots of "boxes" that will convert AES to Dante.  Those won't integrate you 833 into the network but it will allow you to use it as a Dante bit bucket.  Without going to the manual, how does the 833 do AES inputs?  On the 788T, there is a DSub15 that allows 8 channels of AES input.

I never use my 788T on my Dante network (no real need).  But if you wanted to get Dante to AES, the Focusrite RedNet D16R MkII, or something like it might work.  16-channels of AES I/O to/from Dante.

https://pro.focusrite.com/category/audiooverip/item/rednet-d16r-mkii

D.

On 8/13/2022 at 4:15 AM, tourtelot said:

how does the 833 do AES inputs? 

The first XLR can be AES 1 & 2

Or  if you're using the SL2, that provides four more AES inputs. (so long as you're not maxing out already the 8 channels the SL2 can do with your superslot receivers)

Or you can get the XL-AES and get 8 more AES inputs. (which is what I do)

On 8/12/2022 at 5:15 PM, tourtelot said:

There are lots of "boxes" that will convert AES to Dante.  Those won't integrate you 833 into the network but it will allow you to use it as a Dante bit bucket.

I think you hit the nail on the head here, I guess if you want dante, it has to be integrated into the recorder.

On 8/20/2022 at 7:11 AM, IronFilm said:

you can get the XL-AES and get 8 more AES inputs. (which is what I do)

This is how I get AES also. (although still saving up for wireless that actually supports AES!)

If you hook up your 833 to a laptop with USB, and select it as your sound card, then you can get 2x in/out by using Dante VIA, and routing those channels in Dante Controller.

There is also the AVIO adapters from Audinate, in addition to various boxes, as mentioned in other comments above.

If you really want to get into Dante, I think the point blank answer is; you should upgrade to an 888. Sure it’s fine using external boxes and adapters, but the point (at least to me) of using Dante is to streamline your setup by eliminating  cables and weight etc. -not adding more stuff.

On 8/22/2022 at 8:38 AM, chrisbakeruk said:

This is how I get AES also. (although still saving up for wireless that actually supports AES!)

You use the AJA box too? I do wonder if there is a better option out there which is suitable. 

I doubt I'll ever use wireless with AES out directly. 

As once I get the Lectrosonics DSR4, and a Shure receiver, with the Sound Devices SL2 & +4 plugin, then that will give me 12 channels in total. (counting the 8 analogue inputs on the 833 as well) Thus that almost maxes out the 833 anyway, only leaving spare the couple of recordable buses. And if I really want those last two tracks, then I'll just use the AES in on the SL-2 with the AJA box.