Anyone using the Portabrace MXC-552 with the new RM bag yet?

Derek H

I have the 442 case with the RM bag. It's exactly the same with the exception of a patch on the bottom to gain access to the SD card slot on the 552. I don't think the RM bag changed either. The PB website shows the same products shots for both and the mixer dimensions (442/552) are essentially the same.

It's horrible. I regret buying it and will look for a replacement as soon as I can. I bought it because I got a 552 early and the 552 PB case wasn't available.

So horrible says a lot. I better explain.

Well I don't like the Velcro at all - there is far too much of it in the wrong place it seems. But more than that, the metal rings that you hang straps/harnesses too aren't sewn in very well and are off center/extremely uneven. One is dead center, one is far off-center. What this means for me is that the mixer is unable to hang properly. It leans bottom out, forcing the controls into my chest making for hard use of the actual mixer - which kind of defeats the whole purpose. This is made worse with the front pocket that is already helping push the mixer the wrong way, but even moreso if you try to put anything in it (say spare batteries.) It pushes the bottom of the mixer away and top/interface in angled increasingly toward the user. This makes using the pre-amp and sweepable HPF knobs nearly impossible.

If I put the 552 in the case upside down it hangs better. However, when I use it the wrong way, then I can no longer use the RM bag that came with it since the pocket then faces the world and the plastic loops for the RM-bag are against my chest.

The RM bag is fine though, holds a lot, and holds the lot well.

I used the 552 in a production for a week as soon as I got it so it wasn't like I could live without a case. I just wish I could send this one back. It looks brand new.

Oh and if you're wondering why, oh why, on earth did I buy it so blindly... well I got it from B&H because somehow no local dealer could get me either the 552 (with reason) or 442 (for no discernible reason) cases. Also, the rental company we deal with when hiring gear for our productions pretty much uses Porta Brace across the board and those cases/bags all seem to have stood up well to the beating rental gear takes. At the time it seemed like a no brainer.

This is, of course, my opinion and should be taken with several grains of salt and perhaps some celery.

The mixer on the other hand... wow. I use it every day - even in the studio as a set of pre-amps using the direct outs.

But more than that, the metal rings that you hang straps/harnesses too aren't sewn in very well and are off center/extremely uneven. One is dead center, one is far off-center. What this means for me is that the mixer is unable to hang properly. It leans bottom out, forcing the controls into my chest making for hard use of the actual mixer - which kind of defeats the whole purpose. This is made worse with the front pocket that is already helping push the mixer the wrong way, but even moreso if you try to put anything in it (say spare batteries.) It pushes the bottom of the mixer away and top/interface in angled increasingly toward the user. This makes using the pre-amp and sweepable HPF knobs nearly impossible.

Not a big fan of PortaBrace's new designs either.  But this sound more like a manufacturing defect.  I would call PB and complain and have them swap out the case for you.

Just my .02

---Matt

I have been using Petrol bags for a couple of years now after trying just about all of the brands on the market. My current 552 bag was my 442 bag which is a Petrol PPMB/PWMB model and since I am using the SRA's it is a perfect fit.

farroutpro,

So how do you access the SD card slot with the Petrol PPMB/PWMB?  All my previous "bags" have been Portabrace.  I need to buy something for a new 552 that I will be getting this week.  Seeing I need to buy a NEW bag, would you recommend the PPMB/PWMB or perhaps another model?

Thanks,

Tom

Question for Scott: I'm holding out with Senn ek3041's could I stuff 4 into that petrol bag and still be comfy?

I guess the reasons why I like my portabrace setup is because the petrol-based rigs I've worked with always seem to get so damn heavy.. though maybe that's because I've only used the Pegz-2 and bigger..  Also I  found that the cables were often being pinched in the petrol rigs.. The Portabrace design always seemed much more squared-away but at the same time highly configurable. 

Also the nerf-style blue/orange color scheme is for the birds if you ask me.. yes I'm picky..

Tom

Not sure you can see the remote sd card port but that is what I am using. Even without the access I really like this bag. If you don't use the SR series it will hold three UCR411's easily but not sure about a fourth.

Otherwise maybe look at the PEGZ-1 as it would be the next size up from the PPMB/PWMB and offers a little more room.

Thanks Scott.  I'll look into that.  Maybe combined with the SD extender would be a good solution.

Tom

Larry Nolan of Versa-Flex is working on Ideas for making a bag for the 552 with card access.  I urge many of you to contact Larry with ideas.  He does not follow the boards and I don't feel that he realizes the demand for a product of this sort.  The more of us who contact him and let him know our ideas for the "Ideal bag", i think that Larry will be more motivated to serve our needs.  Please call him!!

Phone # (440) 327-2333

Fax # (440) 327-2299

info4u@versa-flex.com

• 3 weeks later...

One more question for Scott regarding the pwm..whatever, the compact petrol 442/552 bag:

Does it stand upright on its own when set on a table or does it fall over like you have it pictured?

I looked at one today (although I think it's an earlier revision) and it seemed as if it would topple over fairly easily..

-d

Thanks Scott,

One last question!  Is there any chance in hell of getting 4 ek3041's stuffed into the space where you have the 2 SRs now?  Assuming the battery sleds are removed.  I'd prefer to keep all the receivers together in one space and only use the side pouches for transmitters. 

Thanks again,

-d