Mixing in a cave

André Boisvert

Tangent....

Interesting point about actor sweat.  I sent in an SM to Lectrosonics recently, to discover the board was completely corroded inside.  It required paying about $600 to fix it, or "exchange" it for a new model for $850.  This transmitter had never seen wet conditions, at least that I remember, but I had recently switched to using the small metal clips on my SM.  These clips, when the transmitter is turned to the inside of the trousers/skirt, create direct contact with the actors lower back.

I blame salty sweat seeping in for this failure, and have pretty much stopped using these clips in that manner.  Anyone else experience such a thing?

Robert

I had two Audio Developments RMS2020s go down due to being placed on sweaty people whilst filming a documentary in Thailand some years ago, since then I take much more care when there's any moisture in the environment. Recently filming a surfing docco in Cornwall, UK I used Aquapacks on my transmitters, which worked very well, and when the surfers were actually in the water, rubber finger stalls (basically tiny condoms) on the mics, which obviously had an impact on sound quality, but still gave good, usable sound.

I blame salty sweat seeping in for this failure, and have pretty much stopped using these clips in that manner.  Anyone else experience such a thing?

Robert

I am using Zaxcom units and they are very sensitive to moisture / sweat. If your are lucky it will effect the display only but I had a unit that stopped working completely. Lucky though I opened the tx and blew very subtle with a hairdryer over the mainboard and left it open the whole night - it came back to life. But I try and avoid direct contact to actors skin since then.

Matthias