Safari troubles (OT?)

This may be OT as it's a computer issue that doesn't directly relate to sound, but I know there are a lot of Mac-savvy folks here and I'm wondering if anyone can help.  On one of my accounts/"identities" on my Mac (OS X 10.3.9) the Safari browser is causing major problems.  Every time the program starts, the entire computer (and especially Safari itself) begins to run at a snail's pace.  I've tried deleting every program and preference pane connected to Safari and re-installing, as well as removed all startup items and background software, but none of those things have made any difference.  Before I completely wipe the drive and reinstall (or find a comparable browser), I was hoping someone had a wiser suggestion.  Thanks if you do!

nvt

Have you looked in ~/Library/InputManagers -- that's where you might find other offending Safari plugins. Another regular troubleshooting tip for user-level accounts is to run "Repair Permissions" from Disk Utility (in Tiger ... probably the same in Panther).

Have you looked in ~/Library/InputManagers -- that's where you might find other offending Safari plugins. Another regular troubleshooting tip for user-level accounts is to run "Repair Permissions" from Disk Utility (in Tiger ... probably the same in Panther).

Thanks!  Looked but I could not find the file.  Whatever is running concurrently with Safari is chewing up a LOT of RAM regardless of what Safari is doing, which is in turn what is apparently slowing down the computer.  Have gone through the Disk Utility repairs several times, unfortunately to no avail.

nvt

The only other thing I can think of is to run Activity Monitor and see if there's a process chomping on the CPU. If there is, it's a clue. If there's not, then the slow-down could be down to some hefty disk access for some other unknown reason ....

(if you don't mind dropping into the terminal you could simply type 'top' to see the top CPU muncher - it's not uncommon on a normal system to see 'top' itself at the top!)

Also, if you have hundreds of fonts installed it could possibly be a cause:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20031026140729513

HTH

This may be OT as it's a computer issue that doesn't directly relate to sound, but I know there are a lot of Mac-savvy folks here and I'm wondering if anyone can help.nvt

It sound like your probems could be helped using one of the optimization utilities that run most all of the terminal system maintenance routines easily. I have had very good results with OnyX:  < http://www.titanium.free.fr/pgs/english.html > which is donationware and has just been updated to current Universal app. There are times when various caches and so forth can bog down the sytem and certain apps are more sensitive to this condition. I don't imagine, as suggested above, that there are Safari plug-ins causing problems, unless of course you know that you have installed all sorts of plug-ins. I have never had Safari on its own slow in performance. If you haven't done so already, you might run Firefox or any other Mozilla variant, just to confirm that it is specifically a Safari problem.

-  JW