Interior windscreens: Schoeps B5D vs Rycote Baseball vs Cinela Leonard?

Jim Feeley

I've been using the B5D forever. I like them, but they're kind of delicate. Also, perhaps there's something better out there now. Better = at least as transparent, possibly a bit more rugged, maybe a bit more wind rejection. I've read some of the previous discussions here. So I'm considering these options:

Schoeps B5D

https://schoeps.de/en/products/accessories/wind-popscreens/hollow-foam-type-windscreens/b-5-d.html

Cinela Leonard

(The cinela.fr is **still** "Coming back soon" for me. So here's a vendor page).

https://www.trewaudio.com/product/cinela-leo/

Rycote Baseball (not the BBG)

https://rycote.com/microphone-windshield-shock-mount/baseball/

This is for doc and corp interiors. In other words, (usually) fairly under control, but not usually a true sound stage. Schoeps MK41 mics.

Anything else I could consider? What are you using day in day out? What do you prefer and why?

TIA!

Hi Jim,

I have the three models mentionned and definitively find the Cinela the most effective, even in exterior by light wind.

But this effectiveness come at the cost of a heavier weight, so I still use the B5D for interview and static shots.

The weight implies also a firmer suspension to avoid handling noises.

For walking shots, unanticipated doco shoot or heavy boom movement, the Cinela is unbeatable ... or maybe by the Cosi !

The CosI with its integrated suspension is one of the best rehgarding handling noise in my opinion and you can order it with the simple fabric, not the fur.

The fur is a tiny bit less transparent, but if suddenly you have to go outside without time to change the windscreen, the exrtra protection will save your recording.

I bought the Rycote Baseball to try when it came out it but was never convinced.

Henri

Been working with Schoeps foam and Cinela Leonard.

Foam is not so effective and attenuates high frequencies. Very slight, but I believe hearing a difference to a "naked" Schoeps. Only use it for sitdown interviews when people tend to blow air in unexpected directions while speaking.

Leonard is nice: quite rugged, very effective, neutral in sound and the additional fur allows occasional shooting outside. Of course the fur is not suited for heavy wind, so you can't use it by the sea or in storms. I do much TV stuff where there's much switching between shooting interior / exterior and this is a nice solution for this. When shooting only outside I use a windshield kit of course (and a different mike).

Hi. The B 5 D was invented for use on the singers' microphones at an outdoor concert of The Three Tenors. Schoeps' products that start with "B" ("Besprechungsschutz" in German) are "close talking guards" or "pop screens". They're designed for  when moving air is expected to arrive mainly in front of the capsule; that's where they have most of their protective effect. The "D" stands for Decca, who were planning to record the concert for CD and DVD release, and came to Schoeps asking for improved protection with the least possible effect on the sound quality.

The products that Schoeps designs as windscreens have "W" ("Windschutz") at the start of their names. They enclose a larger volume of air and/or they keep the moving air equidistant from all sides of the capsule. And as a result they have much better protection for the rear sound inlet of pressure gradient capsules.

--best regards

I prefer the Baseball over the B5D. It's very transparent and provides better 'boom-move' wind protection. It is not an empty space inside but a very rough 'foam'. It sits so tight you might not want to remove it too often.

Many years ago I assisted someone who used the old Schoeps B20 or W20 type cover, but it had terrible internal (off axis) reflections. That's why I prefer something foamy.

No experience with the Leonard.

For me the Cinela Cosi offers the best compromise between sound alteration and wind protection, while also offering very good isolation from handling noise and it’s still a very compact rig, as it’s both a suspension and wind protection. 
you can do wild boom swings with it and you’ll barely hear any noise, neither airborne nor structure-borne. And it works well in light winds outdoors.