Bummer

larry long

One of the parts that caught my eye:

Matthew Nodine, chief of staff in the FCC's wireless telecom bureau:  "We're going to do everything we can to help out customers."

I'm guessing he means helping us by kicking us out of airways that are supposed to belong to the public. 

Once again, "We're from the government and we're here to help you." 

Anyone who trusts those words has a sad awakening on their horizon.

How about a "bail-out" for wireless users.

John B.

Well since I'm all blk 28 re-block or sell out of the country,

http://www.pcworld.com/article/187024/fcc_tells_wireless_mics_to_get_off_700mhz_spectrum_band.html

What's new about this?  We've known that our 700MHz stuff was going to get blown off the air eventually for a few years now, and when the first announcements were made I didn't expect to still be able to use that gear in 2010 (which I still do).  I feel like I've gotten a couple of extra years out of those old wirelesses, and will use them until they become digital-network roadkill.  And then I guess sell them cheap to someone in Argentina or etc..

Philip Perkins

although the article indicated that wireless mic's above 700 mHz somehow won't work anymore after the cutoff date, what they actually mean is that they will be illegal to operate; they will continue to work and at 100 mw, they will not cause interference to the new users of the spectrum so much as they will be subject to interference from these new users.  this is pretty much how it has been for many years with Television broadcasters in the same frequency space, and almost all the users of wireless microphones not being licensed, as they really should be, and thus operating illegally.

so really, though the regulations have changed, as a practical matter, nothing much will be different!

And then I guess sell them cheap to someone in Argentina or etc..

Philip Perkins

I'm in Brazil and my block 28 Lectro is clear and more important still legal around here. Some brazilian mixers might be interested in those 700MHz systems. I know I am.

Gabi