Tascam's HS2 & HS8 new CF alternative to FOSTEX DV824

efksound

as I noted in another thread on jwsound, these machines are part of TASCAM's new products for 2010, and are being shown, in prototype forms, at the NAMM show in Anaheim CA right now; expected deliveries of these related models is beginning in March (I expect April or May)...

TASCAM is able to take advantage of their huge presence in the MI marketplace, where most of the products using the same technology will be marketed, to produce some higher end products for smaller specialty (niche) markets and spread most of the development costs over a much larger production scale.

these look to be killer products!!

I saw the HS-8 at the NAMM show on Friday. The Tascam HS-8 is designed to be the companion piece of the new HS-P82 field recorder. Allowing for compact Flash cards to be accepted in telecine directly from the field recorder . It has dual CF card slots for continuous recording or mirroring, RS-422 serial port control, T/C in/out and 8 balanced in/out's on a 25 pin D-Sub. As the Senator also noted, our Tascam reps told me we should start to see them in March. We will do a test of CF recordings from all of the pertinant recorders as soon as we receive the beta unit next month.

SJ

Hey Marc W. if you're looking at these, could it be possible that the Tascam HS2 & HS8 be put in place in telecine allowing dailies to be done off CF?

-  Jeff Wexler

If so, and it takes off, it might be a welcome beginning of the end for optical media in our workflows. 

I'm guessing someone is going to have to come up with an affordable machine that deals with BOTH optical media and solid state media to handle the transition, though, unless post houses are going to put both decks in and be ready to use either depending upon assigned workflows.

NOAH

"I'm guessing someone is going to have to come up with an affordable machine that deals with BOTH optical media and solid state media to handle the transition, though, unless post houses are going to put both decks in and be ready to use either depending upon assigned workflows."

That's exactly what will happen....  And the CF media will have to drop a bit more in price....

This crap is happening as bit too fast though...  I am sure this transition will take a few years...  But maybe not....

" And the CF media will have to drop a bit more in price.... "

it has been dropping in price performance for several years, and will continue to do so;

as for price-performance, it is already cheap enough to be considered an expendable, as it is in some regions. Oleg has been delivering CF for several years in his part of the world.

" an affordable machine that deals with BOTH optical media and solid state media to handle the transition,  "

first of all, what is "affordable" ?? at the price points we have been seeing, and as the industry continues to benefit from adopting technologies readily available in the consumer marketplace, I would also forsee that new equipment will be installed alongside the existing equipment, and they will work side by side until the older technology fades away...

And the CF media will have to drop a bit more in price....

Preliminary investigation of current pricing, the cost of CF would certainly qualify as an expendable. A 4gb CF card (approx. capacity of current 4.7 gb DVD-RAM optical disks) can be had for about $14.00. SD cards are even cheaper. I do have a question: other than cost, what are the advantages of the SD media over CF? I know Courtney has talked about this in relation to the mini-recorders, but I do not remember the answer. Possibly the combination of a CF to SD adapter card could make the whole solid state delivery method a reality (in this country).

-  Jeff Wexler

post-1-130815084201_thumb.jpg

post-1-130815084205_thumb.jpg

Hey Marc W. if you're looking at these, could it be possible that the Tascam HS2 & HS8 be put in place in telecine allowing dailies to be done off CF?

Yes, this looks like a game-changer, provided it has external sync in and can do pull-down. I'm very glad to see a product like this come out!

I think the main benefit of SD cards over CF is that they're cheaper and are more dominant in the still camera business. But I think CF works fine for sound, and prices are coming way down compared to where they were. The Kingston 16GB CF's are only about $40 and work fine (I'm using them in my Deva and in the SD 744). The 32GB CF's are under $90, but you still pay a slight premium for this capacity.

I could see that an 8GB CF for telecine would be fine -- if and when the Tascams come out. (Soon, I hope!) This will be a win-win for everybody: reusable media, much faster cueing than DVD-RAM, and lower cost for the production and the mixer. Plus they write a lot faster than DVD's.

--Marc W.

Yes, this looks like a game-changer, provided it has external sync in and can do pull-down. I'm very glad to see a product like this come out!

--Marc W.

From the Tascam website they are presenting the HS-8 as the worthy successor to the DA-88/98 line of DTRS machines. I have listed the specs from Tascam below:

Features:

8-channel solid-state audio recorder

Records to Compact Flash media

8-channel 96kHz/24-bit Broadcast WAV file recording

4-channel recording at 192kHz/24-bit resolution

8-channel recording plus stereo mix track at 44.1/48k resolution

Internal stereo mixer (level/pan)

BWF file format with iXML metadata

Multi-channel flash start

Dual CF card slots for mirroring or continuous recording

Color TFT touch panel interface

5-second pre-record buffer

Cascade function for multiple unit operation

Physical specifications:

(8) balanced analog inputs on 25-pin D-sub connector

(8) balanced analog outputs on 25-pin D-sub connector

XLR stereo analog input and output for channels 1 and 2

(8) AES/EBU digital I/O on 25-pin D-sub connector

XLR stereo AES/EBU I/O for channels 1 and 2

8-channel ADAT optical digital in and out

Video/word clock BNC input

Word clock BNC out/thru

SMPTE timecode BNC in/out

PS/2 keyboard input

RS-422/RS-232C serial control input

Parallel control port

RJ-45 LAN control (10/100/1000) on locking connector

RC-HS20PD Remote input

USB 2.0 host connector for transfer to flash memory drive

1/4" stereo headphone output

CF cards are physically larger, but I believe they are typically faster than SD class 6 SDHC cards are fast enough for many recorders

This CF card ($206!) is rated at 90MB/SEC!

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-16GB-Extreme-Pro-memory/dp/B002OL80UK/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1263932961&sr=1-20

SD cards seem to top off around 30

I think the main benefit of SD cards over CF is that they're cheaper and are more dominant in the still camera business.

Personally, I'm not certain that SD cards are as "robust", for lack of a better word, as CF cards.  I know that with my photographic equipment I've had many an SD card lose data or suddenly become unreadable and require reformatting.  In tens of thousands of photos, this has *never* occurred with any of my CF cards.

Video/word clock BNC input... Word clock BNC out/thru... SMPTE timecode BNC in/out...

Ah, that will do the job. I've passed the info on to a couple of people at Technicolor and some other post houses. Maybe by NAB (or the time Tascam starts selling the machine), traditional post can actually handle CF cards without any problem.

Somebody tell Roberto and break open the champagne!  confetti.gif

--Marc W.

There are reportedly DVDs of Avatar for sale on 6th Street in downtown LA for ten bucks. I can't believe these idiots get away with this crap...

But I agree with you, Oleg. I'd like to get rid of DVD-RAM for post as well, because it's an annoyance. A CF card would load twice as fast and be much easier to deal with than a disk.

--Marc W.