Load Testing Lithium AA Batteries?

syncsound

On 8/26/2022 at 12:17 PM, Rick Reineke said:

For a specific voltage measurement, I use a multi-meter set to DC voltage and put a 100 ohm resitor to simulate load. On 9 volt batteries, a 330 ohm resistor is recommended for load. In lieu of a meter and for convenience,  I put batteries in a Tx or Rx that has a gauge.

Oh man I love this!  I'm curious how you were able to determine the value of those resistors?  Is the 100 ohm for AAs?  I use mostly rechargeables so I don't care about metering them, but sometimes we use

lithiums or alkalines and it would be great to meter them under a load!

2 hours ago, Izen Ears said:

Oh man I love this!  I'm curious how you were able to determine the value of those resistors?  Is the 100 ohm for AAs?

Hey, here some of my understanding of it:

Ohm's Law: I=U/R (I is current, U is voltage, R is resistance)

The voltage of an AA nimh is 1.2v (I don't know how much a lithium AA rate I have never used any.)

So 1.2 divided by 100, you have a test load of 12mA. A 2500mAh AA should last around 200 hours under this load if I am not wrong.

If you want to test heavier load, lower the resistor, like a 12 ohm for a 100mA load, but the resistor must be rated for at least 2watt (here load is 1.2 watt and a single resistor will start getting hot).

The load of 330ohm on a 9v battery will be 27.3mA.

Happy testing