Back in the US SD Cards

Fred Salles

Hello,

Lately looking regularly to the Sound Devices approved media list for 8 series I realized they have not changed it in a long while.

There are many new brands and models on the market nowadays and I wonder if we could exchange on experiences with cards not listed there.

I have been using Manfrotto pro V90 SD cards for  4k video camera (side job) for more than a year without a single hiccup. Now it is overkill for our SD recorders but I have not used them on set yet  just... because they were not listed. I still have to find the time to do extensive test not on a job before writing a feedback here. Why would they not work? they are rated for a far more fast read and write speed than required by SD. Is there something I am missing?

Same applies to USA brand Prograde Digital. They seems to make good v60 and v90 SD cards and are gaining good reputation in video, but I have never heard a sound colleague using them.

Any feedback on successful use of SD cards not listed by Sound Devices with the 8 series could be usefull (for them as well I guess).

5 hours ago, Johnny Karlsson said:

I have had no problems with these:

SanDisk 64GB Extreme SDXC UHS-I - 150MB/s, C10, U3, V30, 4K UHD, SD Card - SDSDXV6-064G-GNCIN

Currently have 6x of these in rotation. Formatting almost every day (when that is  an option).

Watchout with the pro version (Black) . I've had some errors. Not-pro seems to work fine

11 hours ago, Johnny Karlsson said:

I have had no problems with these:

SanDisk 64GB Extreme SDXC UHS-I - 150MB/s, C10, U3, V30, 4K UHD, SD Card - SDSDXV6-064G-GNCIN

Currently have 6x of these in rotation. Formatting almost every day (when that is  an option).

Thanks,

that is one of the recommended one on the SD list. Have you tried the 128GB of the same model that is not on the list?

I use the 64 and 128 GB 150MB/s and they’re both fine. 

Having said that, I’ve also been using the Extreme Pro version with no issues. The 95MB/s ones are fine and the 170MB/s version has also been fine in my Scorpio. 

Just buy the Extreme version, gold in colour. They’re cheaper anyway and they’re solid. 

Regards

Peter

617A5A30-6DDD-4A48-A9E2-91CD1D64298A.jpeg