MS field recordings

JDirckze

With all the discussion about stereo mics over in the 'Equipment' sub forum, I thought I'd take a moment to post and share a couple of recordings.

In 2005 I traveled to Nepal and Tibet with my good friend Greg Simmons, who brought along his Schoeps MS pair and Nagra V. The link takes you to 2 recordings, both a mixture of spontaneous recordings of street musicians and various soundscapes/atmos. The Nepal compilation in particular is rather nice I think.

Listening on a decent pair of headphones or quality monitors is a must! Sit back, close your eyes, and enjoy the journey!

Cheers,

Jase

I've been retired from the SA Police for a few years now and have always had an interest in sound (sound itself, not necessarily recording it). When I stumbled upon a back issue of the magazine a couple of years ago, it was that very article by Greg that pushed me into getting some good gear (Sound Devices & Schoeps).

I have since vicariously enjoyed many travel recording adventures through a couple of his blogs and articles.

Regards

John (Jack is good too)

John,

That's a fantastic story! You should get in touch with Greg (if you haven't already), I'm sure he'd be touched and more than happy to talk shop with you. PM me if you don't have his current email. He is back in Nepal at the moment (I think) with another bunch of students.

Greg was my lecturer at JMC academy in Sydney, and myself and another student joined him for his second trip to the Himalayas. It was the catalyst for my start in the industry, as my current employer contacted him for student referrals.

That trip was the start of many more trips with JMC and now AIM (where he is teaching now) students.

Cheers,

Jase

Hi Jase

We've traded many emails in the past, starting with me trying to find the MP3 files mentioned in the article. Since it was an old back issue, they had been removed from the server. We recently had a long phone conversation which led me to the Schoeps CCM4Lg / CCM8Lg M/S combination I ended up buying. (plus an extra CCM4 for ORTFing concerts)

For those interested in the current adventure, here is a link to a couple of participants

GEOS Ramble; A trip to Nepal and India

Sound Adventures; My experiences as a student of sound

Greg's own Nepal blog (not up to date)

Chronicles of the Simmo Lama

Recording the acoustic world

Rode to the Himalaya

And travelling with the Holophone 5.1 microphone and HHB recorder

Surrounding the world

Is that an R44 in your Avatar??