Looking for an alternative to BELDEN 1804A cable in EU

Fred Salles

Hi,

my favourite mini starquad of all time, the Belden 1804A, is out of stock and unreachable in Europe these days (unless somenone has a tip to a source that has stock in EU?).

I need to make a bunch of TA3 cables and I don't have enough stock so I need to look for an alternative.

I do not think there is such thing as an equivalent (=excellent starquad, 2.9mm Out. diameter, stronger than my shoelaces...)

But a diameter up to 3.2mm alternative could do if performances are equivalent. 3.5 max.

Any suggestion welcome.

Anyone has tried the german Sommercable SC-CICADA 4 ? Would love some feedback.

https://shop.sommercable.com/fr/Cable/Bulk-Cable-Audio/Patch-Mikrofonkabel-SC-CICADA-4-200-0461.html#tab_media

Thanks

Yes I use the L-4E5C for the boom. I love it but too large for TA3 connectors.

2 hours ago, Rick Reineke said:

Star-quad is not necessary for line level links IMO.

Sound Devices 8 series has many microphone inputs in TA3m (the Scorpio has even TA5).

I need to make short cables TA3m-XLRf. The Belden is just perfect for that, but if I cannot find I might go for 2 conductors yes, for short cables it might not be that crucial (although it is crucial for my sanity but I guess I have to adapt 😂

I've made some TA-3 patch-cables with the Sommer Cable Cicada SO-D14 which has two conductors and only has a diameter of 2.6 mm. With the Neutrik Rean TA-3 as well. Soldering was painless and the cables seem robust but I added one layer of shrink tube around the cable at the end of the connector in order to make it a little tighter.

But a friend of mine works in a rental service and builds all the custom cables there from XLR down to the really small Lemo 6-Pin connectors. So I guess he might have some suggestions about the best cables for certain connectors. I'll try and find out.

21 minutes ago, TVPostSound said:

They still have it available “per foot”. But what is going on there? $2.77/ft makes for an insanely expensive 100ft cable….