OWC introduces line of SSD

Jeff Wexler

Other World Computing has introduced a new line of Solid State Drives. The specs are great, the PRICE, not so much (actually, TOO much). They are still really too expensive I think but the prices are bound to go down and the capacities will go up.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/internal_storage/Mercury_Extreme_SSD_Sandforce

-  Jeff Wexler

post-1-130815084252_thumb.jpg

Nice find Jeff,

I haven't seen any SSDs with the new Sandforce controller available until now.  They are becoming cheaper and cheaper, an 80GB Intel SSD can be had for around $250.  OWC has a great reputation but they don't actually make any drives as far as I know.. I wonder who makes this new SSD for them.  

While on the topic does anyone know what kind of drive Sound Devices uses in the 788 SSD?

To Philip:  There are cheaper options, Kingston makes a re-branded Intel SSD for under $200 (40GB?).  To use in the bag just buy any external hard drive case which will provide you with the firewire or usb ports you need and install the drive inside.  As far as I know most of the SSD's on the market currently use the SATA II 3.0Gb/s interface.  Though everyone is waiting for the SATA III 6Gb/s interface to hurry up and be released because some SSD's are already being bottle-necked by the current interface.

Hey Derek

This may be of help to you

regarding the Sound Devices  SSD

http://www.sounddevices.com/notes/recorders/788t-drive-replacement/

there is a picture of a "super talent" SATA 2.5 " 256GB SSD Drive.

(Im not sure if they ship with that though)

Also

note that higher RPM (higher than 5400) hard drives draw more current, reducing battery run time. Higher speed drives may be used with the 788T, however, they will only marginally improved data transfer times