Apple iPad

Jeff Wexler

I want to see what's "under the hood".

RL

specs have not been announced yet

1/2 inch thin, 1.5 lbs., 10 hour battery, green: arsenic free, bfr free, mercury free, pvc free, etc.

runs all iPhone apps without modification

talking about GAMES now (which doesn't interest me) but the gestures make game playing unique

It looks like a joke iPhone prop.  What can it do that a phone can't anymore?

Philip Perkins

It does look like a big prop.  My guess is that it is like a true tablet, being able to use a pen tool of some sort for writing and drawing/editing.  Otherwise it probably is just a big iPhone, but will run real applications too.

Robert

Some images

Too many things to explain regarding its capabilities. It is on the one hand just like a big iPod Touch but on the other it could serve many of the functions of a netbook

Gizmodo has a good recap of the features here:  http://gizmodo.com/

One reporter, female, did mention that she thought the name conjured up some feminine product she would rather not talk about.

post-1-130815084264_thumb.jpg

post-1-130815084269_thumb.jpg

Hardly robust enough for a TC slate that I've seen any ac's handle =)

Looks cool, I geeked out and followed the roll out on twitter. (was hoping for an Iphone os update)

The Ibook is great, and new Iworks, games... meh

I'm disappointed in the lack of multitasking, Java support, no memory card option, no removable battery...

Other than that, pretty sweet.

Has anyone used the AV out cables for the Iphone?

LL

Oh If it could control the Deva and let me write my sound reports on it then that would be another story!!!

A couple of issues; You would definitely need an external large capacity hard drive and CD/DVD-Ram burner. Will the multipin cable support both USB and Fire Wire and how many ports etc. etc.

By the time you attached all the external peripherals required a Mac-Mini would look pretty versatile. It is really designed to compete with the netbook market. It's pretty, but falls short of what I need.

RL

It appears to run a hopped up version of the iPhone OS, and other than iLife-like stuff, it appears that everything is like iPhone apps. There's pretty limited I/O via the same docking connector used on iPhones, it has a pretty small drive (64 GB being the largest) and runs on an Apple-made 1 GHz processor, called A4 that has integrated graphics. And at $699 for the 64 GB model + $130 for a 3G cell modem, it's a lot pricier per cycle than a Mini.

Best regards,

Jim

The IPad is a cool unit and I bet many will buy it, but Apple was never going to build a Laptop killer. They make mucho dinero with there premium priced line of computers. These units run pro apps like Photoshop.FCP, Protools, etc. Thats what I need and use, but many don't need that much portable power. All I know is I won't be selling my Apple stock. I also doubt I will buy the IPad anytime soon.

CrewC

My first opinion is that it looks very breakable, and that means that it would likely not do well in the field without a shell of some kind. If the I/O options are there, it could serve as both recorder (Meta/Boom Recorder) , and HD video monitor!

For professional work that we do the iPad is certainly not a laptop replacement by any stretch. It has virtually none of the I/O or capabilities that we need. This does not make it a bad product. I think it is brilliant and will be in high demand for those people that it has been aimed at from the start. I think if we really listen to what Steve Jobs said, that this is a device that falls in between an iPhone (or any other so-called smart phone) and a MacBook (or any other laptop just to be fair), this tells the whole story.

When my wife asked me if I would get an iPad when they come out (she knew the answer) she asked if it could replace my MacBook. I said no, it could not, and then she promptly said "then what will you do with it?" I can see all sorts of uses, for me, but they all fall into the convenience area --- and iPad could be right beside me on an end table in the den and I could do some web work or email with a device that was not as big as my MacBook but had a screen that I could actually see, a keyboard I could use (two things that I find difficult on my iPhone).

For those people out there that use their laptops just for email, browsing the web, watching a movie etc., the iPad could be a total replacement or option for them. Also, for those that are intimidated, even with a Mac, at navigating their way around, having the very intuitive and easy multi-touch screen could be very useful.

-  Jeff Wexler

I'm bummed that because it only uses the iPhone OS (and not OSX), it can only run one app at a time. I was hoping for a tablet version of a netbook, but what we got was a big iPhone.

It's a great eBook reader, and I could see using one to watch movies on a plane, and maybe to play lightweight video games, but I dunno... this feels like a niche product at best.

So much for using Metacorder in a 2-pound device...  thumbsdown.gif

Update from Gizmodo and MacLife...

<u> 8 Things That Suck About the iPad </u>

<u>7 Essential Features Left off the iPad</u>

So the Apple fan community appears to be miffed...

--Marc W.

I don't see it as a netbook killer.  It lacks too many things.   My Netbooks have higher res LED backlit displays (1366x768) have replaceable batteries, Netcam for Video skype calls, a real keyboard with tactile feedback, and 4 times the on-board disk space.  Not to mention built-in SDHC and memory stick support (2 ports) and full flash and Java support. Also HDMI and VGA outputs for HiDef playback, and cost about half of what the fully configured iPad costs.

Since that iPad  multitouch glass screen is pretty fragile at that size, you will have to have a case that protects it when in your bag or briefcase.  So it ends up being about the same size as a netbook. I think a touch screen device makes sense in the iPhone/iTouch size where you can cradle the device in one hand and use the other to navigate.  But the iPad seems like it would be awkward or tiring to use in that fashion.  Also the curved back may make it unstable if you are trying to swipe across the screen  or touch type while the device is laying on a flat surface like a table.  Especially if your fingers approach the edges of the screen.

But it does have that sleek expensive looking  industrial design that Apple is famous for.  Unfortunately it is always form over function with Apple.  I always opt for the function.

====Courtney

I don't see it as a netbook killer.  It lacks too many things.

====Courtney

I completely agree that the iPad is not a netbook (or laptop) replacement. I think it was just our hope, for the things we do, that the iPad would serve some of these needs. It will not. But I disagree, as usual, with Courtney's assessment of form over function. In the case of the iPad, if we really think about the intended audience (of course Apple would love to sell an iPad to anyone) the form IS the function. Think of all of those people that already have trouble with their computers, navigation, using the mouse or trackpad, etc., and all they really want to do is some email, a little browsing the web and so forth. For them, the multi-touch and ease of use is great. No boot up time, very fast, very intuitive, and can do all the things they want to do. Well, it does not do ANY of the things that you or most of us here would want to do with our computers whether they be full laptops or netbooks, etc.

You really have to consider the market, the intended audience. For us, in a professional workplace, it has almost NONE of the features and functions we need. So what. All the latest and greatest capabilities of an X-Box or a Wii system mean absolutely nothing to me... I have never even played a video game in my life. Does that mean there is no market for video game consoles?

Personally, I will still be waiting for Apple to come out with a sub-notebook of some sort and I won't for a minute think that I could get an iPad to do all the stuff I need to do with my present MacBook.

You really have to consider the market, the intended audience. For us, in a professional workplace, it has almost NONE of the features and functions we need. So what. All the latest and greatest capabilities of an X-Box or a Wii system mean absolutely nothing to me... I have never even played a video game in my life. Does that mean there is no market for video game consoles?

Personally, I will still be waiting for Apple to come out with a sub-notebook of some sort and I won't for a minute think that I could get an iPad to do all the stuff I need to do with my present MacBook.

Anyone actually interested in thinking about Apple and why they do what they do (and why they are so unbelievably successful selling the products to a huge audience --- and Courtney, it cannot be explained entirely by the "cool" factor you are always talking about) should read this ARTICLE

I'm just thinking about how cool it would be to use the iPad for sound reports.  Have an app that has all the appropriate information.  Enter information as you go, then when needed...email off the report to whoever needs it. 

I'll put on my protective equipment now, stand back and wait for the veggies.

I still think it would be cool...

pwp