RF attenuators for TX

Tobi A

I'm thinking of adding some inline RF attenuators to my links/hops transmitters in my bag setup, to help my recievers out with spray etc.

I'm using smqv and the min power output is 50mW, I think half that or even less would be enough from my bag to camera which is usually close.

Has anyone one done be this? I recall a discussion somewhere but can't find it now.

How much attenuation would I need? 5db, 10db? If anyone knows the formula that would be amazing!

Rule #1 is have at least 50mhz of separation between hops and bag Rx. Rule #2  get hop tx away from Rx. Rule #3 use Rx with a "tight" front end filter (411!)

I think a 3db attenuator would effectively cut the power in half, but now you have an awkward tx antenna situation that could easily result in a broken SMA connector.

SMA type 3dB attenuators should work very well in that application. If you are getting plenty of range with say 25 mW coming out of your hop transmitter/s, then this is a good option. They will make the antenna/base connector about 3/4" longer, as Jason mentioned.