2 RED, 2 Deneck SB-3, FCP, Sync N Link software. First impressions of workflow.

MT Groove

I just started working on an indie feature working with 2 REDs.  The editor is on site and is syncing audio and providing dailies so I get a first hand look at how everything is working out.  I'm using the PD-6 to jam a TS-C slate and 2 SB-3 boxes attaching them to the Reds.  The PD-6, Slate and Sync Boxes are set to 23.976.

When the editor receive my files and the transcoded RED files, it takes less than 2 minutes to sync the whole days audio.  There is a 1 frame offset between the audio and video.  You simply set the offset in Sync N Link and that is taken care of.  Sync N Link is awesome IMO. 

A few observations:

Even if I set the clock on the PD-6 to "Free," turning it off and on in between jams offsets the clock between the SB-3 and PD-6.  On the first couple days I was turning it on and off and there were sync inconsistencies when syncing.  On the latter days, I kept the PD-6 on and jam every 4 hrs or less. There was only a consistent 1 frame offset. 

Even if the takes were not slated, or mis-slated, the audio still automatically syncs. 

Fostex machines have always drifted a little, in my experience, when powered down.  I don't know about the Zaxcom, but SD machines will hold real sync for several hours on the internal battery before defaulting to the less accurate time of day clock.

Sync N Link is an amazing program for NL work flow with matching TC.

Good to know everything is working so well for you.  It's nice when a plan comes together.

Robert

Which device is the TC master in this setup? Thanks.

Andres.

Sounds like the PD6 is?  I did a similar shoot with my 702T has master TC clock recently.  During break periods, the only thing that stayed on was the 702T, I just wanted to make sure nothing slipped from powering down.  Averaged about 12 hours a day without a slip.

I'm still trying to get my head around this setup. This is what I got so far, so please correct me if I'm wrong:

This setup is about having no cables attaching the cameras, recorder and slate; but there are no wireless connections either, so you connect all the devices together to align them at the same TC and then leave them in free-run. Later in the day you reconnect everything for realigning. 

But why the SB-3s instead of going directly to the TC in of the RED cam? Thanks.

Andres.

I'm still trying to get my head around this setup. This is what I got so far, so please correct me if I'm wrong:

This setup is about having no cables attaching the cameras, recorder and slate; but there are no wireless connections either, so you connect all the devices together to align them at the same TC and then leave them in free-run. Later in the day you reconnect everything for realigning. 

But why the SB-3s instead of going directly to the TC in of the RED cam? Thanks.

Andres.

You are correct. 

The reason we don't jam the RED as opposed to attaching the SB-3 or other TC generator is because the RED clock is less accurate than the dedicated TC generators.  Also, if you reboot the RED and power it back up, it defaults to the internal time clock, which is even less accurate and cannot be set to perfectly match the TC in the first place.

The RED holds on relatively well for short periods of time, however, so if you are using batteries on it, and therefore rebooting regularly, and you are able to jam the camera EVERY time it reboots, then you can certainly do without it.  But that's not very realistic, and TC will be off enough to piss off the people syncing the footage.

Robert

As Robert mentioned, the RED's timecode doesn't hold up very well and definitely offsets quite a bit every time it's battery is changed.  The SB-3 runs on 2 AA batteries and lasts a couple days worth of shooting.

We just finished shooting this project.  The editor is very happy that all the files sync'd automatically with no issues.