Israeli Scientist use lasers to detect and record speech at long distances

cmgoodin

There was an interesting article in the latest issue of Laser Focus World on a method using pretty cheap components (Infrared laser and CCD camera and computer) to evesdrop or record audio remotely from hundreds of meters away.  I don't think it will allow us to dump our wireless mics in exchange for a laser and a camera just yet, but it makes you think about the technology the spooks must have at their disposal for eavesdropping on conversations without being detected.

Read more Here:

http://www.optoiq.com/index/photonics-technologies-applications/lfw-display/lfw-article-display/9000258645/articles/laser-focus-world/volume-46/issue-1/world-news/laser-speckle-imaging.html

---Courtney

Wasn't a cruder form of this being used a few years back...I recall a prominent politician's office being hung with sound absorbing curtains so as to defeat the laser and the vibrating window.....the curtains were up for quite a few years until they were removed in an office make over...they never appeared again.

Wasn't a cruder form of this being used a few years back...I recall a prominent politician's office being hung with sound absorbing curtains so as to defeat the laser and the vibrating window.....the curtains were up for quite a few years until they were removed in an office make over...they never appeared again.

Yes,  I also read a recent NASA Tech Brief that outlined a similar technology with a filtration method that allows eavesdropping from satellite based Laser Devices  literally hundreds of miles away.  This new method doesn't need to target Windows.  It can be pointed at a persons forhead or throat or a cell phone to monitor both sides of the conversation.  Although Eschelon makes that cell phone application a moot one.

--Courtney