Using Senn. G2 as an IFB - How To?

PTA

I know this is possible and tried searching for it, but was unable to find any details.  I was interested in using some of my Sennheiser's as an IFB since my Comteks got stolen.  I'm using the 552 now and I'm feeding the transmitter from the mono mic out of the mixer.  I'm just not sure on the setup for the receiver.

What is the setup for using headphones with the receiver?  Is it useful to have an inline (manual) volume adjustment on the headphones?  Are there specific settings that need to be set on the receiver? 

Best,

Palmer

Palmer,

I use the G2 as IFBs. If you are feeding it mic level, beware of the fact the the wiring of the jack works as follows:

tip - Mic level

ring - Line level

sleeve - ground

As for the receiver, mine is the EK 500 that features two adjustable outputs for line level and heaphones. So I just use the headphones output. My additional receivers are the EK 300 IEM G3 that can be easily adjusted by the user.

http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/home_en.nsf/root/professional_wireless-microphone-systems_monitoring_ew-300-iem-g3_021213

Hope it helps.

Gabi Cunha

Nice, thanks for the help.  I seem to have got it working for the most part.  I'm thinking of getting a volume adjuster for the headphones, something simple the user can adjust on their own.

The only thing I'm noticing is I'm only getting audio into the left side of my stereo headphones.  I'm going to get some cheaper headphones for this anyway, but would you recommend getting mono headphones or just a stereo to mono adapter?  I guess it just might be a choice preference.

i used to use my g2 100 system as an ifb when booming. it has an unbalanced line output which can drive a set of headphones. the receiver is wired tip hot, ring n/c, sleeve ground which is why you are only hearing in the left headphone. a stereo to mono adapter may not work as you need to bridge tip and ring rather than ring and sleeve.

the earbuds or similar will get round this without your clients complaining that only one earphone is working then looking blank as you try and explain why.

the earbuds or similar will get round this without your clients complaining that only one earphone is working then looking blank as you try and explain why.

Thanks for all the help.  I think I'll go ahead and order the earbuds, so I don't have to do any explaining, but more importantly they will be less likely to be sat on and broken by whoever is using it, which seems to happen.  Not to mention they are nice and cheap.  I would be sad if a pair of 7506s were ruined.