Sound equipment making it in the movie...

RPSharman

I think most of the law enforcement folks wear a mini tape recorder near the belt or a very cheap video/audio recorder near the sternum. I think some patrols also have a video recorder installed in the car.

My guess is that most law enforcement dont use high end expensive equipment unless they are on special detail.

Jack Bauer on 24 has all the cool toys. He has drones and his earpiece can send and receive audio. Jack Bauer is bad ass

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did a couple of episodes of "Leverage", and their "com" is a hand gesture.  When they put in or take out their ear-piece, they actually have nothing in their hand or ear.  If they pull it our and throw it in disgust on a table, a sound effect is added, but there is rarely a practical prop being tossed out.  They do have one or two actual props for close-ups, but I think I only saw it once.

So chew on that Jack Bauer!  The "Leverage" crew can transmit and receive over huge distances, and through buildings and basements, with an INVISIBLE ear-piece.  Now that's high tech!

Robert

So chew on that Jack Bauer!  The "Leverage" crew can transmit and receive over huge distances, and through buildings and basements, with an INVISIBLE ear-piece.  Now that's high tech!

I'm just now catching up on past episodes of 24, and I guffaw every time they refer to some mysterious listening device that's about 1/2" square and can transmit for miles without a single dropout. Where do you put the batteries for these things? Where's the antenna? How does it get through steel mesh and ten concrete walls? This stuff makes me crazy.

--Marc W.

I'm just now catching up on past episodes of 24, and I guffaw every time they refer to some mysterious listening device that's about 1/2" square and can transmit for miles without a single dropout. Where do you put the batteries for these things? Where's the antenna? How does it get through steel mesh and ten concrete walls? This stuff makes me crazy.

--Marc W.

Marc-

I love the "parabolic dish" call. the client thinking after watching a show or film were the dish was used thru a 2nd floor glass window in a ND Bldg and aimed down a city block at the talent, that they will get perfect broadcast audio. I have to explain to them that it is just a prop. and what the application the dishes are really used for - then the client/customer gets it.

(at least I think they do)

Long time no talk to JW Sound community.

Thanks Eric for sharing your knowledge on the police use of wireless technology.

Personally I would think that the Zaxcom wireless units that record would be the perfect item for survielance work, where if transmission to a recorder was necessary.

Cheers,

RVD

RVD- Im sure they do. the ZFR100

• 1 month later...

Sometimes I keep a film on in the background while doing paperwork. I look up to the screen, only to see a M187 being used as a prop. It's supposed to be a military video transmitter.

Film: Executive Decision

Mixer: Clark King

The CU is attached. Sorry about the low rez.

Was just watching this tonight in the Hotel room and saw this and started laughing... remembered this thread and I guess you beat me to it lol... good stuff.