788t users. What cards are you using?

DonSpaulding

Hello Everyone.

I purchased a 788t a year ago from a local professional and it came with a few cards. Lately, I've thinking it would be a smart idea to get a couple new ones. However, the Delkin UDMA7 cards are not easy to find. What you guys using that works well and is still available? Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks!

I’ve used Transcend 16GB 133x CF cards since I purchased my 788T new over a decade ago. It was the recommended card at the time, and I’ve never had a card failure with them. 

Transcend 16GB CompactFlash Memory Card 133x (TS16GCF133) Size: 16 GB, Model: TS16GCF133, Gadget & Electronics Store https://a.co/d/688QiEE

1573048652_1003355.jpg

I've got a couple of these.  Never had a problem with them.  I know some like to use bigger capacity cards but 32GB seems to be a nice sweet spot where you can at least fill up some of the card before reformatting vs having a huge card that you might reformat a lot and use only some of the sectors.  I've been told this "helps" in the sense that you're utilizing more of the card itself?  YMMV

Oh, and no matter what you end up getting, DON'T buy from Amazon or familiar "marketplace" retailers.  Buy from name brand vendors (better yet, hit up a sound house) because there are a ton of counterfeit cards out there!

41 minutes ago, Philip Perkins said:

Is Sound Devices still selling CF cards under their own name?

Yes, at least the last time I bought a card.  Maybe less than a year ago.

https://www.trewaudio.com/product/sound-devices-sam-32cf/

There was something weird with formatting of some CF cards in my 788T IIRC, and I needed to send them back for some other, maybe older, SD CF cards.  Sorry I can't remember the specifics of the issue but it happened with two cards from different vendors.  Calling Sound Devices gave me the info I needed to get the correct cards.  So check that part out.  I have four and I will probably never need to buy another one.

D.

And well, I guess that negates my "never failed" statement.  :)  The ones that formatted have never failed. The

19 hours ago, JonG said:

I’ve used Transcend 16GB 133x CF cards since I purchased my 788T new over a decade ago. It was the recommended card at the time, and I’ve never had a card failure with them. 

Transcend 16GB CompactFlash Memory Card 133x (TS16GCF133) Size: 16 GB, Model: TS16GCF133, Gadget & Electronics Store https://a.co/d/688QiEE

Same here ! Transcend cards, along with Sandisk but mainly Transcend

Sound Devices has a 6 series media page, last updated December 2021. It lists CF cards they've tested.  The benchmark testing was on 6s.  Not sure there'd be too much difference between say a 688 and a 788's requirements?

https://www.sounddevices.com/6-series-approved-media-list/

Pasted for posterity:

Sound Devices’ own brand of approved media cards – the SAM-64SD, SAM-128SD, and SAM-32CF II – have been optimized and extensively tested to ensure fast and flawless performance when used with the 6-Series of mixer/recorders.

Type Size Brand Model
CF 32 GB Sound Devices UDMA7; 150MB/s read 120MB/s write

The cards from other manufacturers listed below have successfully passed benchmark testing with the 633, 664 and 688. Many other cards may work but their performance and reliability cannot be confirmed unless they have been extensively tested at Sound Devices.CF Cards

Size Brand Model
256 GB SanDisk Extreme Pro; UDMA7; 160MB/s
128 GB SanDisk Extreme Pro; UDMA7; 160MB/s
128 GB Delkin Devices CF1050X, UDMA7, 120 MB/s write; 160MB/s read
64 GB SanDisk Extreme Pro; UDMA7; 90 MB/s
64 GB Delkin Devices CF1050X, UDMA7, 120 MB/s write; 160MB/s read
32 GB SanDisk Extreme Pro; UDMA7; 160MB/s
32 GB SanDisk Extreme; UDMA7; 120MB/s
32 GB Delkin Devices CF1050X, UDMA7, 120 MB/s write; 160MB/s read
16 GB Delkin Devices CF500X, UDMA6 16 GB

There's also this less-detailed 7 series FAQ.  The manual recommends UDMA for high track counts and higher rates, if I recall.

https://www.sounddevices.com/compact-flash-card-recommendations-for-7-series/

There are numerous options available on the market. With such a wide range of CF options available (the actual flash RAM chips come from very few vendors, however) and with the types, speeds, and capacities continuing to evolve, there is no practical way for Sound Devices to keep up with them. Fortunately, the 7-Series recorders work well with nearly all CF type I and Type II cards, including Microdrives. If you are recording high data rates for test/measurement (>96 kHz sampling rates) we recommend the 40x or greater speed cards. These can support higher track counts and sampling rates. If you are recording typical audio rates, nearly any modern card will work well.