Zaxcom releases ERX1 to Dealers

glenn

This week Zaxcom will deliver to its dealers in the US the ERX1 and the ERX1TCD.  This is a new classification of product that replaces the traditional monitor receiver used on set and the time code sync boxes used to provide time code to slates and cameras.

The ERX1 is a monitor receiver with time code display. The ERX1 offers audio quality unmatched by any FM monitor system. The all digital transmission system offers excellent range and fidelity. No noise or distortion can be introduced in the transmission making critical monitoring possible via wireless reception. Script supervisors can use the ERX1 to monitor audio, time code and meta data. A time code display hold function is included. The system features encryption to eliminate the transmitted audio from being received by unintended listeners. The ERX1 and ERX1TCD are the same size as a classic Ipod and runs 14 hours on 2 AA alkaline batteries.

The system has 36 RF channels that can operate at the same time on the 2.4GHz band. This removes the IFB system from the UHF band eliminating a source of interference for wireless microphones.

The system also includes a 1KHz notch filter that eliminates the possibility of calibration tone being sent to the ERX1. The tone is filtered out with a very high Q notch filter that does not affect audio transmission quality. This feature can be disabled.

The ERX1 receiver features true diversity operation with 4 internal receiver antennas and a digital drop out elimination system for very solid RF performance. A LCD display shows time code, user bits and scene and take metadata.

The ERX1TCD offers the addition of SMPTE time code output and monitor delay. The time code output allows the ERX1TCD to be attached to smart slates and cameras to provide wireless time code distribution. The ERX1TCD has an internal time code generator that will always provide perfect time code output regardless of the quality of the received signal that synchronizes it. The ERX1TCD eliminates the need to manually Jam slates and cameras and eliminates the drift common to all devices that run on an internal crystal reference. The time code rate is individually selectable at all standard frame rates. This allows for a production running at 23.98 FPS to have ERX1TCD outputs at 29.97 FPS or 23.98 FPS.

The ERX1TCD also offers audio monitor delay. The delay is adjustable from 0 to 300mS. This allows the ERX1TCD to compensate for up to 10 frames of video monitor delay on a personal level. Each ERX1TCD can have its own delay setting so that the directors monitor delay can be different from the cinematographer or someone viewing live action. Using Zaxnet the monitor delay can be changed remotely.

The ERX1 starts at $395 in quantities of 5 or more.

The ERX1TCD starts at $495 in quantities of 5 or more.

Please visit the following link for a photo of the ERX1.

http://www.zaxcom.com/erx.htm

We talked a lot about TC delay in another thread, specifically the 1-2 frame delay in the older "read" type slates like the TS1 and TS2 from Denecke.  Perhaps Glenn can let us know if there is any delay or offset present when encoding TC and other data, broadcasting it, then decoding it at the other end.

Thanks,

Robert

• 2 weeks later...

That's correct Cloud, just a name change.

I have taken a moment to check out these units and wanted to note that they do have the ability to freeze the timecode display by simply pressing the timecode button.  Script supervisors are going to love this feature.

You can also cycle through the Timecode and User bits.  If you are using the Zaxnet system (with a Fusion or Deva recorder) you can see Scene name and Take number by pressing the up or down arrows.

-Robert

so no more ERX2 ? or just changed the name to ERX1TCD ?

thanks Glenn

We talked a lot about TC delay in another thread, specifically the 1-2 frame delay in the older "read" type slates like the TS1 and TS2 from Denecke.  Perhaps Glenn can let us know if there is any delay or offset present when encoding TC and other data, broadcasting it, then decoding it at the other end.

I missed this question. There is no delay for the time code. The system is always sub frame accurate input to output.

Glenn

Hummm......  CR123 battery,  @ 5 hrs run time, and around $4.00 a pop.....  interesting fun.....  not....    Cool item though....

What are you referring to battery consumption, CR123, etc. The ERX receivers, as Glenn Sanders stated, "runs 14 hours on 2 AA alkaline batteries" what's not fun about that?

What are you referring to battery consumption, CR123, etc. The ERX receivers, as Glenn Sanders stated, "runs 14 hours on 2 AA alkaline batteries" what's not fun about that?

My bad.....  I was looking at the TRX....  still don't understand the CR123, but must work well....  All the lettered names spun me!!!  Again, looks like a nice unit though...

My bad.....  I was looking at the TRX....  still don't understand the CR123, but must work well....  All the lettered names spun me!!!  Again, looks like a nice unit though...

The TRX 900 (transmitter) is available using AA or CR123 batteries (I don't like the letters and numbers either) but my experiences have been with the CR123 model only. I don't like the cost and I have not yet found a re-chargeable alternative for the CR123 (I know they are out there I just haven't tested any yet). I do get over 5 hours off the CR123, possibly longer but I always change them as they come up on 5 hours usage.

-  Jeff Wexler

Jeff and I took a closer look and listen to the ERX1TCD demos today and I have the following to report:

The unit is capable of outputting audio only, timecode only, or audio&timecode simultaneously (L=audio,R=TC or L=TC,R=Audio). 

I did not detect any bleeding of timecode into the audio feed.

While sending both audio and timecode, the volume knob on top of the unit only adjusts volume for the audio signal.

The timecode level is not adjustable in the current firmware though Zaxcom will be updating the firmware in the near future to support adjustable timecode output levels.

The delay goes up to 300ms at the moment and the available delay amount may increase in future firmware updates.

This unit's capabilities far surpass high-quality IFB alone and it looks like we have a less-expensive, lighter-weight, lower battery consumption camera-hop with timecode!

-Robert

If my next feature shoots RED, which it looks like it will, I plan to talk them into paying extra for the "magic box" with a low profile to provide both TC and reference audio to the RED.  Hoping it will cover the cost of the receivers at least, and perhaps some of the transmitter too.

This will be a great item to own.  I was poised to buy a couple of SB3, but I think this will serve me better.  I just hope it's durable!

Robert

Glenn,

If you are taking any suggestions for modification on a 2nd generation of this unit...

This item, like a Comtek or Lextrosonics IFB, will be handed off to members of other departments.  It will also be perfect to mount to HD cameras for audio/TC, and we all see how the camera department flings cameras around and "rests" them on the ground propped up by the accessories.  Perhaps a smaller volume knob or lower profile on/off switch would reduce the potential for damage to the unit.

And for the on-board camera application.  A "lock-out" option for the volume button would be an amazing idea, preventing accidental adjustment on the receiving end without having to put tape on the unit.

I briefly handled the unit (no snickering) at Coffey yesterday, and it seems like a really good item.

Robert

Perhaps a smaller volume knob or lower profile on/off switch would reduce the potential for damage to the unit.

And for the on-board camera application.  A "lock-out" option for the volume button would be an amazing idea, preventing accidental adjustment on the receiving end without having to put tape on the unit

I share those sentiments.....

perhaps both desires could  provided, simply and mechanically, by utilizing a

"recessed screw" potentiometer instead of a knob - perhaps an option one could order if desired.... rather than a software driven "lock"...

The somewhat protected volume knobs on my Lectro IFBs always seem to take regular abuse and a routine beating -

Mike Filosa, CAS

Atlanta

" Will the new receivers output a left AND a right channel, in addition to TC ? "

" The unit is capable of outputting audio only, timecode only, or audio&timecode simultaneously (L=audio,R=TC or L=TC,R=Audio).  "

Glenn from Zaxcom has advised that the audio is actually mono, that is one channel, the two analog inputs mixed (level controls!!)

While the IFB100 has 2 balanced inputs, the audio transmission is mono.

Since the 1/8" TRS jack is capable of 2 discrete signals, it can output mono audio (as summed by the IFB100 before transmission) and timecode simultaneously. 

Also worthy of note is that the 1/8" TRS jack on the ERX1 and ERX1TCD is not meant for mono 1/8" connectors (TS).  Use of mono headsets with mono connectors may damage the unit and should be avoided.

-Robert

So I'm wondering if the ERX1TCD version is capable of generating it's own timecode.  The Zaxcom site says it will have a built in generator/reader, so I'm wondering if it does generate its own timecode, could it take the place of something like a lockit box with a SD 552 in the bag?

But then again, the only way to jam the ERX1TCD would be through another Zaxcom IFB unit, you couldn't jam it with a cable, correct?

Maybe the SB3 is still the best bet.

asked:

" if the ERX1TCD version is capable of generating it's own timecode.   "

answered:

" The Zaxcom site says it will have a built in generator/reader,  "

"  the only way to jam the ERX1TCD would be through another Zaxcom IFB unit, "

a TX

note: a question of operational specification, not a discussion, or opinion --J1N

" Maybe the SB3 is still the best bet. "

OK, we can discuss this...

the Zaxcom alternative is part of a larger system, ZAXNET, so in many cases, a basic SMPTE TC generator "sync Box" that can be jammed from SMPTE TC may be a better, simpler solution...