New cart build. Inovativ Deploy with some customization.

Phil Palmer

This has already been posted to some effect on a couple of FB groups, but there are folks here that don't journey into the meta.

My cart for the last many years was much larger as it housed a much heavier and extensive amount of components.  I kept using the rig even as the gear became smaller and was capable of even more functionality.  I decided it was time to re-think my set up and look for a more ergonomic and smaller footprint.  I wanted a standing rig (yes, I sit during set ups and when not mixing), and something that would be more nimble in getting into tight spots.

Looked at several different manufactures and custom cart rigs and settled on the Inovativ Deploy as the base structure.  Needed some covers and extra bits here and there to fulfill the demands of production, travel and safety.  Photos below are what we've ended up with.  Always a work in progress but so far happy with the results.

IMG_3420.jpeg

IMG_3425.jpeg

IMG_3432.jpeg

Very clean and nice setup.  With how much height it has, do you have a high roof van that transports it or do you have to throw it onto its back?  I know we talk about carts on here a lot (which is great) but I wish we talked more about vans and whatnot too!  Sadly, the Ford Transit Connect (and the Ram Promaster City + Mercedes Metris - ALL the small vans will dead for North America end of '23) so I'm kicking tires on various van ideas.

Looks good, Phil, and the covers you did and mods seem to do a good job adapting the Innovative to our production environment. It really shines as a "stand up" working cart (something I could never get into, all of my carts were definitely designed for sitting). I'm putting your pictures up on the Gallery of Sound Carts.

• 7 months later...

Do you mind sharing who made your covers?  Considering doing something similar.  Love your setup.  Have you ever hit any of the gear with your knees while standing and accidentally changed a setting or turned something off?    I use Lectro DSQDs and those power switches are not really protected.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Phil, great looking cart! 

I’m wondering after spending some time at this cart how do you like not having the recorder right in front of your eyes? From an install perspective having the recorder down in the rack works beautifully but I’m not sure I’d like not having it in front of me while recording. I understand between the Cantaress and Souriwuette or whatever it is you can control just about anything remotely but still I’m curious how you like it. 

thanks!

4 hours ago, Derek H said:

Hi Phil, great looking cart! 

I’m wondering after spending some time at this cart how do you like not having the recorder right in front of your eyes? From an install perspective having the recorder down in the rack works beautifully but I’m not sure I’d like not having it in front of me while recording. I understand between the Cantaress and Souriwuette or whatever it is you can control just about anything remotely but still I’m curious how you like it. 

thanks!

Ditto.  Although I will admit that it might just be oldster-former-analog-user paranoia...just what I'm used to.