CBS Radford

Richard Ragon

Worked in CBS Radford this weekend.. We were mostly filming outside shots. They gave me 4 wireless frequencies that were just about unusable, and I've never seen so many Planes, Jets, and Helicopters fly over an area in all my life.  Gawd, how does anything get filmed here?  I had 5 planes in one take once, and 2 Helicopters come out of nowhere, fly round the studio in a circle, then fly in another direction.. Do they do this on purpose?  WTF?

-Richard

Hey, Richard, you forgot the crickets and the air-conditioners! Definitely some sonic challenges there, but I think you did the best anybody could under those circumstances.

I can recall several sitcoms I've worked on over on that lot, and they'd occasionally have to yell "cut" because of low-flying helicopters in that neighborhood. (Will and Grace was one of them.)

Such tremendous history on that lot...

--Marc W.

I love that lot.  Filmed there many times.  One of my first industry jobs was working as an office assistant at MTM around 1990 or so, so it has a special place in my heart.  Perhaps that's why I somehow forget the pretty bad sound conditions, the worst of which for me were the building air conditioners when shooting near the front of the lot.

Robert

Not exactly Radford specific, but my favorite helicopter story anyway. Years ago we are covering a press conference for one of the OJ jurors on the top of a parking structure just west of downtown. About two minutes before it's set to begin, a news helicopter begins to circle the proceedings absolutely ruining the audio for the 15 or so crews that are on the ground.

We are all staring bullets at the chopper and swearing about it when the guy next to me grabs his cell phone and calls the news desk for the offending station. I heard him yell at the news director and inform him that if that helicopter was not gone from the area by the time the press conference started that all the sound guys on the ground would make sure that that station's camera on the ground would have absolutely no shot as we would all take turns standing directly in front of it. 30 seconds later the chopper peeled off and left the area and the sound was great from then on.

" the guy next to me grabs his cell phone and calls the news desk for the offending station "

Joe, that was me! and you remember right...

I recall asking if they have a great shot from that bird, cause they won't have one from on the roof; since we're  all gonna' block their camera ...

thanks for that walk down memory lane!!

today seems to be 'Memory Lane' day...

The Larry Sanders Show shot across from Seinfeld, and often used the lot as locations...

I saw Mr. Seinfeld park one of his Porsche's in a 'Handicapped' space; I was told by a security guard passing by that he was allowed to, as he had hurt his back, picking up his wallet!

An FYI.. to slightly change the topic, but still related here..

A Mr. Timothy Holly informed me that the studio WILL start actively enforcing the FCC rules about the outdated wireless systems.  So, all those mixers that held on to your systems believing that you're OK, WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO USE THESE on the lot here, starting this year.

Just to make it an even more hostel environment...

-Richard

Richard,

I have been at CBS for the last 3 years on shows, and funny story, you and I were on the same freq. My board lit up on a channel I was using earlier but not at that time and had my guys check to see where it was coming from and heard the other production.We were shooting right around the corner from you  I had it assigned  to replace another when Tim was on vacation and all of a sudden I was picking up your production and then changed my freq's.  As far as CBS Radford assigning freqs,  I too at first was not happy with the assigned freq's but except for being on your channel the other day I have never had a problem and there is a lot of RF on the lot with KCAL and KCBS on the lot as well.  Some of the shows shooting there the past 2 years have been: CSI NY, Greek, Parks and Recreation, United States of Tara, Big Brother, Tracy Ullman, Gary Unmarried, Accidentally on Purpose, Samantha Who?, Bill Engvall,  just to name a few. Other shows shot there were Seinfeld, Will and Grace and 3rd Rock from the Sun, Bernie Mac and Malcolm in the Middle. Gilligans Island. and as mentioned was the old republic pictures lot and mary tyler moore lot. It's not as big as the big lots but living in the valley it is a great lot and most  people I tell when they ask where I am shooting have great things to say about it. 

Steve Morantz

Great story about growing up in the area, Richard. That must've been an incredible era to be around a place as busy as that, using it almost like a playground.

As I was leaving that lot the other day, I noticed that one of the buildings was dedicated to Roy Rogers and Dale Evans. I immediately thought, "oh, was this the old Republic lot?" I can never keep the various old studios straight.

Was KTLA on Sunset the old Monogram Studios? And what was ABC's Prospect & Talmadge lot before it was KABC?

Lotta great history around this town...

--Marc W.

Richard,

I have been at CBS for the last 3 years on shows, and funny story, you and I were on the same freq. My board lit up on a channel I was using earlier but not at that time and had my guys check to see where it was coming from and heard the other production.We were shooting right around the corner from you  I had it assigned  to replace another when Tim was on vacation and all of a sudden I was picking up your production and then changed my freq's. 

Steve Morantz

Ouch.. Sorry about that Steve,

Why didn't you come over, and kick me off?  Tim gave me the assignments on Friday, but on Saturday morning half of the frequencies became unstable, forcing me to either go wired, or select others.  I couldn't find Tim again, and the lot was not that busy..  Where were you?  The boom was only a 1/4watt transmitter.

Next time.. I'm going to bring block 24 instead perhaps.

I'm not complaining about Radford.. I love the place, but it was pretty difficult to film outside there.

-Richard

We shoot on the other side of the lot but were in a building right next to the audio dept. so we were a couple hundred feet away I walked over but didnt see you so kept going and talked to tim who told me he assigned you that freq. no biggie, we are over both burbank and van nuys flight paths so does get nosy outside but nothing like i had it tues and weds and hansen dam where planes and helicoptors were going by every 30 seconds!!!

Steve

We shoot on the other side of the lot but were in a building right next to the audio dept. so we were a couple hundred feet away I walked over but didnt see you so kept going and talked to tim who told me he assigned you that freq. no biggie, we are over both burbank and van nuys flight paths so does get nosy outside but nothing like i had it tues and weds and hansen dam where planes and helicoptors were going by every 30 seconds!!!

Steve

Was this on Friday?

Most likely you were looking for the sound guy that was just sitting down huh?  :)

I wonder if anyone knows in detail the policy at Radford, and also at other studios, regarding permissible frequency blocks.

While most of my radio gear is in lower blocks, I'm still using a block 27 IFB transmitter for boom feed. With only one transmitter, it's relatively easy to find a clear frequency within legal boundaries. But it would be a nuisance if a lot had a policy of banning anything with the capability of operating above 700 MHz.

David Waelder

If anyone knows?  David, just contact Tim Holly in the sound shop at Radford.  He knows it all.  He'll tell you everything you need to know... and everything else, too!  The studios are all supposed to have someone who does what Tim does at CBS but I think CBS is the only lot that actually does it.

Laurence