Lav cartage and storage

minister

Hi all,

I did a search for this and couldn't find what I was looking for.  If you know of a thread that discussed this already, please point me to it.  Don't want to add clutter.

Here is my query : how do you load up and cart Lav's to the set and bring back?  For my condensers like Schoeps and Sennheiser, I put them in Pelican cases with Silica boxes.  I have separate Pelicans with cables, adapters, accessories, Rycotes, etc., everything I would need for an FX collection session in the field.  For Lavs, I have a set of DPA's (that come in their own nice box), a MKE2 (which comes in a not-so-nice box) and will soon pickup a Sanken COS-11.  But I am not sure how best to put them all together.  Who wants to throw each manufacturers box into another box and cart it to the set?  I don't.

I purchased the Pelican 1490, which is essentially a Pelican briefcase with foam. Reason I got this is I didn't need/want  the deeper 1400 or 1500 cases for this.  I'd love to put all my LAVS and their accessories in this case.  I got a Flambeau Tuff Tainer with adjustable compartments for all the clips, windscreens, etc. at the hardware store (actually, I have a several for my FX kit)

http://www.flambeauhardware.com/small_storage/tuff_tainer.asp

So I thought I would throw it out to this generous group to see how you all organize and bring Lav's to the set.

Thanks for your time.

Tom

No doubt there are many approaches used by people here that are entirely valid. I use a small, compartmentalized box sold at Location Sound. It's essentially a tackle box in miniature. Here is a link:

http://www.locationsound.com/proaudio/ls/SBOX0001.html

(It's listed at $3.50 on the LSC website.)

Following Glenn Berkovitz' lead, I coil the lavalier cables over-under.

I also know a mixer who keeps a tube, similar to a boom-pole tube, so the lav cables can be hung straight and not ever coiled. He has slots at the top of the tube that are akin to the hangers for patch-bay cables. This is what I have in mind:

http://www.musiciansnetwork.com/products/info/MiddleAtlanticWallMountPatchCableHanger_4178.html

If memory serves, a hanger of this sort was cut down to fit across the top of a tube about 3 or 4 inches in diameter. The lavs could be slipped into a slot by the connector end and allowed to hang freely in the tube.

The hanger solution is probably best suited to an environment, like a TV series, where the gear is in daily use on a stage and not often being packed for transit.

David Waelder

I'm a fan of the products sold by Bass Pro Shops. I use a hard tackle box, dimensions 6.5" x 3 3/5" x 1 1/8". It has five slots which I load with 4 lavs and their accessories in the 5th slot. They also sell "soft" binder style versions with even more compartments. They are all great for storage on your AKS cart, keeping everything neat and secure. http://www.basspro.com/homepage.html?CMID=MH_HOME

I have pictures below, imagine your mics in place of the tackle or bait.

RL

post-284-130815084764_thumb.jpg

post-284-130815084768_thumb.jpg

post-284-130815084773_thumb.jpg

I too coil my lav cables over/under, having learned that tip from Glenn Berkovitz also.  Keeps them nice and straight

Most sporting good shops have a good selection of small tackle boxes.  I found this somewhere a few years ago, and bought a couple of them.  It houses 8 lavs and velcros nicely to the top of the little 1200 Pelican, which houses my transmitters and a couple of 411 receivers. 

I keep a smaller box with accessories for my boom guy to keep with him on set for fixes.

post-485-130815084778_thumb.jpg

post-485-130815084783_thumb.jpg

The lavs I keep with me in my "run" bag (kind of too heavy to run with anymore)

I keep in something like the first box Mr. Lightstone showed.  I mix up the types (I use 3) and have most of the bitsy stuff in there with them (except the Rycote stickies etc.).  This has worked very well on my smallish jobs for some time.

Philip Perkins

moz-screenshot.jpgmoz-screenshot-1.jpgmoz-screenshot-2.jpgI use, and have used, several different tackle boxes, etc.  The one I'm currently using the most is a small two sided box (Plano 3213) that has 5 compartments on one side and 8 on the other.  I can carry several lavs, wind protection, and affixing gear options.

http://www.buzzillions.com/reviews/plano-tackle-box-mini-magnum-3213-reviews

The main reason I like this one is that it'll fit in a belt pouch for run-n-gun gigs.

• 3 weeks later...