Advice on TC slates and systems

jwill

I have a dumb slate presently and use with Tentacle sync system. Recent client asked why I didn't have a complete system...TC slate and TC camera mount boxes? I said this has worked thus far but will look into this!

Can I incorporate a TC smart slate with my present tentacle system or do I have to go complete new with one manufacturer? Thoughts ...advice...suggestions?

The Tentacles will work with the timecode slates. Is the time code slate just a habit for this client or do they have a real reason to use it? Having the timecode on the picture and audio files seems to make slate timecode obsolete, but I'd like to know what people use if for.

Using multiple sources for sync is a great way to make sure there is at least one fail safe. I’ve been on shoots where camera can’t or inconsistently can’t take tc, sometimes ac’s unplug xlr’s if you’re feeding camera. Having a smart slate is another point editors can sync from.

Also smart slates are the most photographed piece of production gear by clients. If you get one and charge $75/day for it (a lot of us do) you’ll make your money back in no time.