SB-T or SB-3 Which should I purchase

ProSound

I am about to start doing alot of RED Camera Shoots which box should i purchase? I understand the SBT has Video Sync but is that important for RED Camera shoots?

From all my research, there is no benefit to the SB-T over the SB-3 for a RED shoot.  But the SB-T would be useful with other video cameras.

Can I ask a related question?  Is the SB-T "equal" to the current Lockit box?  It seems like the Lockit has many more options than the SB-T, on the other hand, the SB-T seems MUCH simpler and user friendly. 

Also, when would you need to use a tri-level box as opposed to just a real good timecode generator?

Thanks,

Tom

Is the SB-T "equal" to the current Lockit box?  It seems like the Lockit has many more options than the SB-T, on the other hand, the SB-T seems MUCH simpler and user friendly.

I voted for the SB-T simply because Denecke is local and I know I can get answers and service from them very quickly and easily. But each will do essentially the same job, for close to the same cost.

Also, when would you need to use a tri-level box as opposed to just a real good timecode generator?

The engineers tell me you risk the possibility of timecode phase issues in a multicamera shoot if you don't lock tri-level sync and timecode to each camera. If it's just one camera, as long as they remember to rejam the Red every time the camera is rebooted, regular external timecode will work OK.

• 7 months later...

I'd like to pick up this thread to find any more real world opinions about SB-T vs Ambient Lockit. I agree with Marc, I prefer to buy locally made and supported gear, but I never see the SB-T in use by DITs. Is is just that the Lockit has become the more well known, and therefore a more popular unit or is it really superior in any way? I have read the manuals of both and they seem comparable for the kind of work most of us do.

Bruce

Bruce

I'm in a similar situation. In looking at the Denecke and Ambient products on their websites, it seems like one difference between them is the connector configuration: Ambient Lemo and BNC, Denecke mini jack and BNC (although there appears to be a Lemo option for the Denecke). The RED has a Lemo TC input as I recall. Anybody have any pro/con comments on this?

Chris Newton

I think the Ambient box may have come first, which is why they became "standard" items at rental houses, etc. 

For my money, the SB3 is a great item, built locally. 

If you are on a shoot with three cameras where this mysterious phase thing can be an issue, then I would expect they would have the staff and equipment required. For jobs where we supply TC, then the SB3 would be sufficient.

Robert