Dynamic Microphones

jason porter

Dynamics are great things to have along for an FX session.  I think they are especially suited to loud sounds, metallic sounds, banging, and things with fast transients like gun shots.

Not all dynamics are the same.  The ones I like are the Senn 441 (not the 421, which i do kinda like on kick drum), and the Heil Mics.  The Heils are great and very affordable.  And of course, a 57 is useful too, especially if you get the Oliver Archut transformer mod.  Another thing about Dynamics is if they get damaged, it is less of a big deal then if my Schoeps get damaged.

Oh, also, a Lav (MKE2) on a tailpipe.

post-898-130815084792_thumb.jpg

Hey minister

Thanks for those pics, I have tried to use dynamics for car effects before and had mixed results. I gather those 2 instances pictured worked out for you? ( ok one was an electret condsensor)

Also did you get the driver to rev while stationery to try simulate driving or did you have him do it for real?

Always a battle to get the mic in the right place and then deal with wind noise if the car is actually moving.

I recorded some motorbike effects a few years back for a suzuki commercial and had to have the bike in a semi sound proofed room up on a stand. I ended up using a Sennheiser 416 from different angles and perspectives. I wasnt entirely happy but it was all I could do that time.

Jonathan Chiles

We recorded the car moving into a "staging area".  1 SD recorder in car wired to the tailpipe and engine mics.  a 2nd SD for the external mics -- stationary and one on a boom.

The secret to vehicle recording is the engine sound is pretty metallic and whiney, what you want is the tailpipe sound and to a secondary degree the external sound.  You have to give the mixer options for perspective.  The engine mic is used sparingly, but it does add some nice metallic high end.

For high speed stuff, you can use a tin can on the tail pipe mic and other external car-mounted mics.

post-898-130815084801_thumb.jpg

"  things with fast transients like gun shots. "

actually, I suspect you mean loud transients, as condenser mic's are better for the fast transients, and particularly smaller diaphragm condensers (Earthworks, DPA).

Dynamics handle high SPL's better than condensers.  there are lots of patterns and frequency response curves to choose from, depending on the situation.  Omni's are generally less susceptible to wind, and handling, noises.

Heil's are excellent mic's and good values (disclosure, I have known fellow HAM Bob for years!)

things with fast transients like gun shots. "

actually, I suspect you mean loud transients, as condenser mic's are better for the fast transients, and particularly smaller diaphragm condensers (Earthworks, DPA)...

Correct.  But I do mean loud AND fast.  Dynamics are good for high SPL noises. Things with slower transients are a different matter, however.

I've had amazing real life results with a CUB01 with a furry wrapped around it somewhere near the tailpipe.  My utility always rigs it but I can tell you it isolates the engine sound SO well I generally was not able to hear any of the dialog = clean engine sound that perfectly matches the take!  We've used the CUBs on really really loud tailpipes, also and it was really good.

I've found the CUBs have a reduced low end compared to lavs or of course regular condensers, which makes it good for recording tailpipes because it seems to reduce the droney freqs. 

And I also use condensers for gunshots and other loud-ass sounds.  The dynamic mics I rarely use, though I keep them with me!

Recently I used a dynamic mic (RE50) for an announcer who also had his voice over the house PA (director's call) and it sounded good because the announcer spoke right into it.  I would say with a condenser it would have looked wrong, sounded all weird and wind-noisy, and also would've given wicked feedback I predict.

Dan Izen

Hey Tom

Thanks for posting more pics.

I like the idea of mounting a lav on a gooseneck or whathaveyou and then using a full windjammer over it..

Did you have no wind noise problems at all at moderate speeds?

Also what do you find works for a further perspective of a moving vehicle?

I like the idea of CUB01's for tail pipe sounds as well, some imaginative rigging with some faux fur or something would do it I guess.

Jon Chiles

www.filmsoundafrica.com