Sanken CSS-5 usable suspension? (boom use - documentary, etc.)

Fernando

Hi all,

The CSS-5 is an MS mic as you know and will be specially prone to handling noise.

Wich is the most efficient/usable suspension to use it on a boom?

I see that recently Rycote is proposing to use it with lyres on a regular suspension, but it does not look... ideal:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rycote/3073730661/#

The front lyre holding the mic by the interference tube in such a mic...

I need confirmation that such a rig would work well in a boom. Anyone?

Or maybe you are using another suspension for it?

I already have a new modular Rycote with lyres (for CS3e & MKH60) so it would be ideal but I'm open to any other solution.

Thanks in advance,

Fernando

P.S. I do not own a CSS-5. I'm evaluating it's purchase and the suspension is key.

Hi all,

The CSS-5 is an MS mic as you know and will be specially prone to handling noise.

Wich is the most efficient/usable suspension to use it on a boom?

I see that recently Rycote is proposing to use it with lyres on a regular suspension, but it does not look... ideal:

The front lyre holding the mic by the interference tube in such a mic...

I need confirmation that such a rig would work well in a boom. Anyone?

Or maybe you are using another suspension for it?

I already have a new modular Rycote with lyres (for CS3e & MKH60) so it would be ideal but I'm open to any other solution.

Thanks in advance,

Fernando

P.S. I do not own a CSS-5. I'm evaluating it's purchase and the suspension is key.

A shorter spaced suspension that would grab the mic at the body only would lead to the mic sagging and be prone to hitting other parts of the suspention bar. I see no problem with having a lyre covering 1 or 2 ports on the mic. I'm sure Rycote took that into consideration.

Eric

A shorter spaced suspension that would grab the mic at the body only would lead to the mic sagging and be prone to hitting other parts of the suspention bar. I see no problem with having a lyre covering 1 or 2 ports on the mic. I'm sure Rycote took that into consideration.

Eric

Thank you Eric.

Anyone using it as Rycote suggests?

Rycote's picture is from Nov. 2008, more than a year Vin... (ok, still new maybe)

Now I see that the CSS-5 need the Rycote windshield kit 5. I thought I could use the w. 4 I use with my CS3e and MKH60, so things get more complicate/expensive (and heavier)

Anyway, wich other suspensions are being used with this mic?

As Steve G. tell me, it is possible to have an efficient suspension/windshield using the older Rycote modular but K-Tek rubber "stars" instead of the Rycote rubber bands.

It doesn't look very elegant but it seems to work very well.

I'll ask for permission to post the pictures he sent me.

As Steve G. tell me, it is possible to have an efficient suspension/windshield using the older Rycote modular but K-Tek rubber "stars" instead of the Rycote rubber bands.

I think you're referring to the K-Tek "Suspenders":

http://www.ktekbooms.com/products.php?id=46

They're excellent.  Just be sure and get the real deal and not the knock-offs that B&H sells.

John B.

Guest Ken Mantlo

Humm.. that rig is something I would be leary about seeing that the windscreen could make noise by rubbing on the front support...

Post script;

Posted in a most loving and caring way.

I would also suggest stretching the "Suspenders" around both tubes and moving the pins for a more traditional star pattern.  I think the suspension may work better that way.  I've used the K-Tek "Suspenders" around even a large body mic mounted in Rycote rings, with great success.

You'd be surprised how resilient they are.

But, hey, whatever works.

Buy only the real thing -- ingeniously designed by Manfred Klemme of K-Tek and manufactured in the U.S.A. using premium quality materials.

John B.

Humm.. that rig is something I would be leary about seeing that the windscreen could make noise by rubbing on the front support...

Ditto - Perhaps if it's in the zepp, you can remove the foam windscreen.

I also agree with John that moving the bands to more of a 4-point position will help, whether or not your stretch the opening around the entire mic body or not.  From the picture, it looks as if the top two mounting points are loose, and therefore less effective.

Robert

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Rado, it would be great to see pictures please

Hallo,

My first post here.

I have been using WS4 with lyres. CSS5 is mounted upside down. Works very well.

I have problem with my 5pin cable being to wide when I am closing the ws4.

Other then that very happy with it.

If you are interested I can post pictures...

Here is one setup that requires large modular bar which I do not have.

If somebody have an extra one for sale let me know.

Yes, that's what I posted. But it needs next size Rycote (5), wich makes it (even) heavier.

Using the size 4 with the mic upside down as you suggest looks fine (as soon as you swap the connectors in the recorder's end) The selector should be easier to reach too.

Do your solution work well (avoiding handling noise) for on-the-go documentary situations? (boom while walking, etc.)

The only problem I get is adjusting the 5 pin xlr cable in the rycote since it is wide.

Do not have money for connbox. Also I use the same rycote for my 416 and will have no time exchanging connboxes.

I use 6mm diameter Canare star-quad for stereo cables too, that should fit.

Or use what Rycote uses in their conn-box, it's from Mogami, can't recall the model.

Sorry I think I sent you a personal msg.

I am new to the site.

And that upside down treading totally screwed with my head.

I am in my opinion an intelligent person but I found myself not knowing in which direction to scroll,which page to select to go to the next and the weirdest one:

I started reading posts upside down sentence by sentence.

I use 6mm diameter Canare star-quad for stereo cables too, that should fit.

Or use what Rycote uses in their conn-box, it's from Mogami, can't recall the model.

Do your solution work well (avoiding handling noise) for on-the-go documentary situations? (boom while walking, etc.)

I have not had any problems with it apart for the lack of connbox and a bullky 5pin cable that needs adjusting.

I am going to bed now but tomorrow evening when I go to my office I can send you a few samples.