Tascam HS-P82 Recorder Review

Steve Joachim

Kudos to Mike Paul. Well-written, with a good sense of humor, and a fair assessment of the pros and cons.

My biggest concern would be the relative lack of analog outs. Between camera hops and Comteks and video village and all that stuff, I find I'm needing those more and more these days. On the other hand, with digital camera hops like the Zaxcom and the Lectro D4, maybe analog isn't such a big deal.

Sobering comments on the HS-8 CF player for dailies. That's a drag about the file structure/data issue. Hopefully, they'll get that worked out so that it'll use CF cards from SD, Zaxcom, Cantar, Tascam, Nagra, and everybody else.

--Marc W.

I spoke with the Tascam engineers last week and they confirmed that the HS-8 (and HS-2) are being designed to read compact flash cards directly from all of the major recorders without the need to match any directory structure.  We'll see if they come through with that promise, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Nice review, Mike!

--Robert