Equipment Insurance

Zack

I was actually going to do some research on this so I'm glad it came up.  I will look into the link.

Just curious, approximately how much does this insurance run per year?  I'm sure it depends upon the total cost of your equipment, but is there a range that I can expect to fall in?

just thought i'd throw this out there - because i have as much post gear as production, i went with: http://www.spars.com/insurance.html

they cover my gear where ever it goes - and as long as i let them know ahead of time if it's going far or out of the country, it's still covered.  plus i have liability insurance for my company (single member LLC) - all for much less than i was quoted elsewhere.

-greg-

Taylor and Taylor 8181 981-9700 Darren Rosenbaum - insures a lot of production companies. knows film.

I had a 120K claim against a company that no longer insures film... it took 3 years to get 60K and was a monster of a hassle. Note that ins. co are there to collect no pay out money.

the agent is a SALES agent  - not on your side on a claim. - you got to do it and watch for low deductible and coverage of locked car in public places at night.  -- Never admit to "mysterious disappearance" - someone always "stole" equipment.  Airplane ins. is nonexistant.  fed Ex coverage is said to be good but $1K deductible .  .    wolf

Keep in mind, Nicole, that insurance statutes often differ from state to state.  So, one of the first things to find out is if that matters and if you'd need to obtain coverage from an agent within your state.  Also, if they're located out of state, they may rate the risk areas differently.  ...Things to check on.

And, like most anything else, you should "shop" for insurance.

John B.

It's very scary to add this stuff up and see the numbers in black and white. Yikes...

--Marc W.

I agree 100 percent not to mention the amount of time to assemble everything it has taken me over 10 years to assemble everything I have and I know many of you much longer.  It is a small price to pay for piece of mind. Especially for an ENG mixers like Rob and I who have to often leave gear locked in a car or hotel room somewhere

I don't remember the guy's name, but a few years ago there was an Atlanta-based mixer on RAMPS who left his entire kit in his truck overnight inside a locked garage, slept eight hours, then got up and went back to his garage only to discover the truck was now empty! That scared the hell outta me, enough that I try never to leave my sound truck full of gear -- inside or outside the house.

The happy ending to the story was, eventually the thieves tried to fence the equipment and the cops swarmed in and discovered all the equipment, still intact. Still, even being without gear for that many weeks is a frightening thought. Kat Wong's insurance deal also provides some rental coverage in case of theft, and that would at least get you buy in the short haul.

--Marc W.

Guest Ken Mantlo

I don't remember the guy's name, but a few years ago there was an Atlanta-based mixer on RAMPS who left his entire kit in his truck overnight inside a locked garage, slept eight hours, then got up and went back to his garage only to discover the truck was now empty! That scared the hell outta me, enough that I try never to leave my sound truck full of gear -- inside or outside the house.

The happy ending to the story was, eventually the thieves tried to fence the equipment and the cops swarmed in and discovered all the equipment, still intact. Still, even being without gear for that many weeks is a frightening thought. Kat Wong's insurance deal also provides some rental coverage in case of theft, and that would at least get you buy in the short haul.

--Marc W.

I'm amazed!  We can't get the cops to even come out to the house when your car is stolen.

Kat Wong at Heffernan Insurance Group. InternetBusinessDivision@heffINS.com

This link will take you to everything you need.  http://InsureMyEquipment.com

Office number is 213-236-0511

They are the folks that split off from Dewitt Stern Group.

I think I am also going this way in the next day or so, it almost seems too good.

Has anyone actually had to make a claim through them yet?  Just wondering if it went OK.

• 2 months later...

Got my quote tonight as well, looks good... just asking them if there's a monthly payment option.  Doing an annual lump sum is a bit difficult for me at this time.

They don't do monthly payments for small policies I asked last year

Just insured my gear through Kat's website.  Easy.  Just about $1000 for $89K coverage.  Good deal, I think.

Relocated my gear to a nice secure storage space, and feeling pretty good about having my garage back!

Yup that is about what I pay and I just did the same thing I put all my gear 1 mile from my house in a storage unit and I wish I had done it sooner. I pay $75.00 a month for a 10x15 locker everything is much better organized now and I feel better having it behind a gate and two locked doors. I also picked a locker that has a security camera right in front of it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...