Hurt Locker wins Best Sound at BAFTA's

Richard Lightstone, CAS

THE HURT LOCKER - Ray Beckett, Paul N. J. Ottosson

Kathryn Bigelow's "The Hurt Locker" stormed the BAFTAS with six awards, including best film and best director.In a night of surprises which saw James Cameron's "Avatar" shut out of the main categories, Colin Firth won best actor for Tom Ford's "A Single Man" while fellow Brit thesp Carey Mulligan took home the best actress award for Lone Scherfig's "An Education."

Pixar-Disney's "Up" won best animated film and music while Jacques Audiard's "Un Prophete" won best foreign film.

The complete list of winners is here: http://www.bafta.org/awards/film/film-awards-nominations,949,BA.htm

RL

THE HURT LOCKER - Ray Beckett, Paul N. J. Ottosson

Kathryn Bigelow's "The Hurt Locker" stormed the BAFTAS with six awards, including best film and best director.In a night of surprises which saw James Cameron's "Avatar" shut out of the main categories, Colin Firth won best actor for Tom Ford's "A Single Man" while fellow Brit thesp Carey Mulligan took home the best actress award for Lone Scherfig's "An Education."

Pixar-Disney's "Up" won best animated film and music while Jacques Audiard's "Un Prophete" won best foreign film.

The complete list of winners is here: http://www.bafta.org/awards/film/film-awards-nominations,949,BA.htm

RL

I saw "The Hurt Locker" last week.  Maybe I was sitting a little too close to the screen, but I really got motion sickness from the constant camera jiggle. It was very annoying for a dramatic film.  I know they were trying to emulate a documentary film, but I think it turned a lot of the audience off and made it hard to identify or appreciate the story.

With all the build up and the awards, I was expecting more of a movie. I was a bit disappointed.  Not that great a film in my opinion.

---------Courtney

Maybe I was sitting a little too close to the screen, but I really got motion sickness from the constant camera jiggle.

I think there's a fine art to making that work. I've always felt that honest handheld, where the camera operator is actually trying to hold the camera steady, can work fine for some films & TV shows. But this David E. Kelly style of deliberately shaking the camera and making unexpected zooms... I dunno, it just strikes me as being too showy and obvious. Even in NYPD Blue, they eventually cut the shaky-cam down by about half towards the end of the series.

--Marc W.

What's ironic is that normally I'm not a fan of "shaky cam."  However, in this film it didn't bother me.  I guess I just kind of "went with it."

Storywise, yes, it wasn't intended as a traditional story but more a character study. 

While not my favorite film of the year, I still sort of get it.

John B.