Hybrid cart/bag kit questions.

Robert Buncher

The gear I presently use is an SD302 in a bag with an R-09HR. Also, I sold my SD442 and have just gotten the SD552.  Most of the work I get can be handled by the 302 or if I need to feed more than one camera or have more than three inputs, the 552. I also have an HD-P2.

I am thinking of buying a 744T so that I can up the tracks I can record and to add the ability to generate time code.

I have had the opportunity to work from a cart with a boom operator. This was a multiple Red camera shoot; double system using borrowed timecode generators to sync the cameras and the HD-P2. I fed the main Red a scratch track from the SD mixer and recorded to the HD-P2.

I know I can work the same way with the 552. And if I got the 744t, perhaps recording two ISO tracks to the 552 and sending a boom track and a mix track plus two more ISO’s if needed to the 744t. But I am thinking of the possibility of using the 552 as a preamp, still recording two ISO tracks to it and sending the direct outs to an analog mixer such as a small A&H or Mackie.  That way I would have the use of linear faders, I could send a boom and mix and a couple ISO’s to the 744t and I could send whatever to the HD-P2.

I would be able to record up to eight tracks when necessary and still have a small TC generating recorder that would fit in a bag.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan?

Thanks,

Bob

another option is to record a 2 channel mix (for example, boom on L, wires mix on R) and then iso's of your wires onto the 744t.  the only bummer is the file naming on the 552.

i like the idea of using the 552 for the pres to a board mixer.  though i would guess the summing on the 552 sounds better than a mackie or AH.

-greg-

One more question.

So I have a workable idea for a small cart but currently I don't have the work to pay for the equipment and if there is one thing I have learned on jwsound it is to buy the equipment that will yield a return on investment. So I will keep this equipment purchase plan in mind and enact it was the work presents itself.

One thing I do see coming more immediately is the need for time code. If I bought a Denecke SB-3 I believe I could either jam a camera or jam to a camera and then connect the SB-3 to the 552 and also jam the HD-P2. This would give me two or four tracks with time code. This seems like a good $500 investment. Later, when I might buy a 744t the SB-3 would serve me locked to a camera.

Does this sound correct?

Greg. I have read the discussions here about music industry boards and the guys that use them seem to think that in the final mix the sound is just fine. I don't have the experience to know.

Thanks

Bob

One more question.

So I have a workable idea for a small cart but currently I don't have the work to pay for the equipment and if there is one thing I have learned on jwsound it is to buy the equipment that will yield a return on investment. So I will keep this equipment purchase plan in mind and enact it was the work presents itself.

One thing I do see coming more immediately is the need for time code. If I bought a Denecke SB-3 I believe I could either jam a camera or jam to a camera and then connect the SB-3 to the 552 and also jam the HD-P2. This would give me two or four tracks with time code. This seems like a good $500 investment. Later, when I might buy a 744t the SB-3 would serve me locked to a camera.

Does this sound correct?

Greg. I have read the discussions here about music industry boards and the guys that use them seem to think that in the final mix the sound is just fine. I don't have the experience to know.

Thanks

Bob

The SB3 you should leave hooked up to the HDP2--it's own clock isn't accurate enough to hold a jam for very long.  If you go with the 744, it has a great clock and then you can use the SB3 for something else or sell it.  I've also used my SD recorder with my HDP2 with the latter clocked to the TC of the former, that's worked well too.  I guess the 552 recorder clocks itself to ext TC as well--which is good, but the file naming thing is a drag--you'll need to keep a separate set of notes for those files.  Re jamming a camera with the SB3, you might want to do a search of threads about that re: TriLevel sync etc..

Philip Perkins