They're not ALL that bad...

RPSharman

Thought I'd share this with you all...

I just received and email from a producer for whom I am doing a one day job on Wednesday.  I have done one previous day gig for him.  This brief email was to let me know that he had found an extra $50 in his budget to add to my rate.  The rate was already a reasonable day rate, and I had not asked for more money.  While the $50 didn't represent much of an increase, which he jokingly stated in his email, it represented to me that I was being thought of and appreciated.

Robert

I just received and email from a producer for whom I am doing a one day job on Wednesday.  I have done one previous day gig for him.  This brief email was to let me know that he had found an extra $50 in his budget to add to my rate.  The rate was already a reasonable day rate, and I had not asked for more money.  While the $50 didn't represent much of an increase, which he jokingly stated in his email, it represented to me that I was being thought of and appreciated.

Robert

Print and frame that email. It will become a rare one of a kind.

Eric

Robert

I've had this too.. several times in fact.  Also, when the producer is writting the check, and you notice its for more and you ask about that.. They added a bit more for you for a job well done..

Yes, these are really awesome, and make you feel good about life..  as aposed to all the other times of being knocked down all day!  :)

-Richard

I had a Producer ring me before the shoot to say he had considered my rate and would like to add $100 a day to it so that everyone on the crew was getting exactly the same money....I'll work for him any time in the future....he loved my work...it was a very happy shoot.

This has only happened to me ONCE, and it was an extra $50!

One time, I had filled out my form with the prod co. with my SS# on it.  A few months later before the filing of taxes I get another paper that has already been filled out by the producer, but now needs my SS# again.  Meaning they've lost all the paperwork.  Blamed me for BAD production sound even a f* PA could get it recorded better!  Wanted their money back and I stood ground telling them to check my recordings that I've sent them and NOT on the RED.  Amateur prod co. with a taste of high-end equip and lack of skills.

I've never had a company just give me extra money for a job well done.  But, on a recent low budget shoot I was working on with a friend of mine the lead actor, Steve Guttenberg (yes from the Police Academy movies) got the entire crew together to give a round of applause to the sound dept. for doing such a great job under some pretty harsh conditions for sound.  As he was listening to dailies (as he was a producer on the shoot as well) he felt that we were getting some really great stuff and, I guess, felt that we were not being taken as seriously as we should have been.

That put a smile on my face, and made me realize that sometimes people do notice when you bust your ass despite the lack of respect that may get while on the job.

Now to work on a job where the director says to the sound department, "What do you need from me to get the best possible sound?"

Jason Hemmerlin

I have also received monetary bonuses for jobs well done.  It always feels great, and even a bit humbling.

In another instance, near the end of a shoot, the producer/director apologized to me for taking me for granted.  In point of fact I had been treated quite well even before that.  The praise followed her viewing the dailies from second and third units they had hired for two days as she commented about how much better my audio was.

Usually, sound is only noticed, or commented on, when it's bad, so it's sure nice when someone notices your skills and hard work.

However, "What do you need from me to get the best possible sound?" isn't the cure-all it sounds like.  I heard this from a newbie producer/director (and he was funding the project) but, unfortunately, he didn't have the knowledge or experience to know how to implement it.  He hired a novice 1st A.D. who proceeded to let the self-impressed D.P. and overbearing script supervisor take control of the set.

But, always celebrate the good ones.  Remember them.  Honor them.

John B.

Additionally to this, I am one of the few people who have actually gotten deferred pay. I did a 2 day shoot for a guy I know who was putting together one of those contest films, for the Assassins Creed game, and he won first place, $10,000! He gave the 9 people on the cast/crew 10% and kept 10% for himself.

" He gave the 9 people on the cast/crew 10% and kept 10% for himself. "

unheard of!!

wow!!

On a series I was doing second unit on,  after the first couple months I noticed I had been given a 10 hour minimum (and second units on this show were either short days, or really long ones!), one hour more than the union minimum...

once I realized this, I of course thanked the UPM, who said that I deserved it, as thanks for my work, and the show was happy to have me!