How do you mount your sides?

Guest Ken Mantlo

How come they're called sides?  Haven't heard that term before.

Not sure exactly how the name "sides" came to be but it derives from the practice in Elizabethan plays of providing each performer with only their own lines and the cue lines in and out. So each player would have only their own scenes, their own "side" of the play.

Printing in Shakespeare's time was an expensive undertaking. There were no Linotype machines and type had to be set by hand and paper fed into the press by hand. In some cases, sides were probably hand copied rather than printed. Budget cutbacks throughout history.

David Waelder

Ruth Gordon, a stage actress before she appeared in films, has a very interesting autobiography called "My Side."

Sides are referring to the script I'm guessing.  How come they're called sides?  Haven't heard that term before.

Bernie

Also generally reduced to a 1/4 page size and stapled in the day's shooting order, so they'll fit in a pocket. And thanks, David, for the reference back to the Elizabethan era.

Best regards,

Jim

really good boom operators memorize the script, often better than the actors...

Yep that's what I do. The Directors and actors/actresses be looking like wow. Ha ha. It helps me to make sure I pick up the dialogue proper and also lets me know how long I'm going to be holding that darn boom pole. ha ha.

Nicole

This works until they rewrite the scene you are currently on 3 times while they are shooting it....

Exactly.  When they re-write add 4 more actors and change the location to an extremely noisy exterior.  And every bit of dialog is a whisper.  Not because it was written that way, but because the actors felt it would be better that way.

And every bit of dialog is a whisper.  Not because it was written that way, but because the actors felt it would be better that way.

Quieter is better.  It makes the character seem more serious, therefore better acting.  Soon the dialog will be replaced with the serious stare.  This should work fine since actors can barely hear each other these days anyway, since they are all acting so well.

Robert

Quieter is better.  It makes the character seem more serious, therefore better acting.  Soon the dialog will be replaced with the serious stare.  This should work fine since actors can barely hear each other these days anyway, since they are all acting so well.

Robert

Who would have thought the old soap operas were ahead of their time.

Michael - your new accessory - well old actually.

These pictures are of PK's SU cart few years back. He used a section of metal mesh held to the side upright with cable ties - adjustable by selecting the appropriate square. Hangs on side of cart when not in use.

Very innovative of PK.

RS

post-708-130815085018_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...