Anyone tried a Listen LR-400-216 with a Comtek M-216 transmitter?

Sean McCormick

I'd love to hear more about this. They gotta sound better than a Comtek PR-72B...

A lot of things sound better than a 72b.  However, I've found that under the conditions they're subjected to, few things perform as well.

"The suits from Chevrolet left HOW MANY Comteks lying out on the cold dark ground near the race track after the first setup?"

For simple, but nonetheless ingenious, purpose-built, foolproof (mostly), little lightweight receivers, the PR-72Bs are amazing.  A bit of kit that meets the specified need so well they define the term for all such devices.

I tried the Genter frequency-agile portable transmitters quite a while back and promptly abandoned them as, IMO, they didn't hold a candle against a Comtek M-72.  And that's before factoring in the legendary Comtek support.

I also use 216s for Director, Script Super, Producer, etc. but am still a big fan of the 72 series for the denizens of video village.

For those who have tracked such info over the years, have they ever been considered for a technical Academy Award?

Having said all that, if there IS a good alternative, it's worthwhile information to have.

John B.

I did a job a while back with the 72 mHz version of the Listen receivers which look to be identical to the 216 band units mechanically. As I recall, they sounded OK but the build quality is a little light. I doubt they'd survive being dropped as well as either a 216 or M72 receiver.

Best regards,

Jim

They do appear to be less rugged, mine should show up mid-week.

I did a job a while back with the 72 mHz version of the Listen receivers which look to be identical to the 216 band units mechanically. As I recall, they sounded OK but the build quality is a little light. I doubt they'd survive being dropped as well as either a 216 or M72 receiver.

Best regards,

Jim

Sean,

What did you pay for a 216 receiver?  I use the Comtek PR216 for a PL, so I have 2, but it might be nice to have a spare if they are cheap.

In terms of a 72, I still prefer the PR72b, and they are almost always available used.  Comtek provides great support and virtually rebuilds them when sent in for repair, which costs much less than a replacement.  They are also quite durable, due to their simplistic lack of function (one of my favorite things).

Give something with buttons to someone, and they will play with them.

Robert

Hi Robert,

I paid $162.94 shipped from Performance Audio. It's a gamble, but I need some extra units for general village flotsam and "producers". It would be nice to save a few bucks for these less essential participants.

Cheers,

Sean

Sean,

What did you pay for a 216 receiver?  I use the Comtek PR216 for a PL, so I have 2, but it might be nice to have a spare if they are cheap.

In terms of a 72, I still prefer the PR72b, and they are almost always available used.  Comtek provides great support and virtually rebuilds them when sent in for repair, which costs much less than a replacement.  They are also quite durable, due to their simplistic lack of function (one of my favorite things).

Give something with buttons to someone, and they will play with them.

Robert

Just came today.

Initial impressions:

This will get beat up pretty quickly in a production environment without a protective case. The belt clip will go fast, I predict.

Using the channel table in the online manual, I picked one near where I already was (55 on Comtek, 2P on Listen).  Locked the channel. I threw a tone on the 788 and it picked it up fine. Volume is plenty loud.

It's self noise is higher than the Comtek, but with the SQ switch enabled (which is only supposed to help if you are using a Listen transmitter, but I find it helpful) it isn't unusable. Playing back some production audio from yesterday sounded fine (for non-critical reference) via some ghetto walkman-style headphones.

Walking through the house and outside a ways, the Comtek definitely had less interference/glitching. I'm just using the stock Option 7 antenna at present. I'm gonna do more testing on this with a better antenna later.

It's pretty much what I imagined it would be; a lower cost option to hand some kid actors' grandma or some naughty gear-abusing director.

I'll be playing with it more and I'll post further observations.

listen.jpg