Earthquake in Chile

Marco Lopez

I poured out the vodka and filled it up with water.  Rice cooker has water in it.  Blender has water in it.  A few pots on the stove with water for cooking... Filling up the bathtub now to bathe the kids later.  Nagra batteries are charged up, what's the best microphone to record a tsunami?  I don't think there is any physical danger, but there's possible issues afterwards with the sewage pumps that have to turn off, can't handle back pressure, waste water going all over, no clean tap water, power issues, etc...  Were right on the Ala Wai, so its pretty much a flood zone.

Don't worry, Vodka bottle was almost empty anyways.  Last time I emptied a vodka bottle, it was into my mouth at the bottom of the Grand Canyon and I almost died.  My reasoning was that it was weight I wouldn't have to carry up.  I've matured a little bit since then.

Thanks for thinking of us.

were you there when the Ala Wai (a canal behind Waikiki that drains to the Pacific) was all backed up and a hazard a few years back...

and the power goes out for any little excuse... good luck!

hope all is ok with our SA friends and those in the South Pacific, too...

they are predicting only a couple of feet here in SoCal, and eight feet (a lot!) for Hawai'i...  However, a Tsunami is not something to take too lightly...

and "a bottle of Vodka is a terrible thing to waste!

First noticeable surges hitting New Zealand now...small at the moment...some areas around the coasts have been evacuated as a precaution....the surges following could be bigger....being cautious rather than sorry.

Here's a link to our Geonet Tsunami Gauge Network...updated every 5 minutes.

http://www.geonet.org.nz/tsunami/

thanks for the link...

Chatham Island shows the preceding "suck back" and about 1 m so far...

did a lot of folks take their boats out to ride it??

hang on...

want to listen ?  my friends Larry Price and Mike Perry are live: http://www.ksskradio.com/main.html (there is a "listen live" link)

about one hour from now, Honolulu (incl Waikiki)  expect almost 1m wave.  Maui gets it bigger --and earlier...  Oahu's "H1" Freeway is being shut down to the east...

all hotels are on it!!(every one is moved out, or above the 3F,  with all the warning, this is a slow motion disaster... Sirens every hour since 6 AM...

Some areas in the Chatham Islands have been evacuated as a precaution...a 1 metre drop in the sea level in 7 minutes...they are expecting bigger surges soon...national warnings are on TV for the whole of the east coast of the country......first surges hitting NZ... expected to grow...people are warned to leave beach areas....

" .people are warned to leave beach areas... "

there are always idiots who want to watch it from the beachs, and think that when they see it coming, they can just run inland ahead of it...

6' waves have already reached, and hammered French Polynesia...

info for the pacific: http://www.prh.noaa.gov/ptwc/?region=2&id=hawaii.2009.09.30.050107 

http://www.prh.noaa.gov/ptwc/messages/hawaii/2010/hawaii.2010.02.27.200640.txt

A premature demise.

John B.

All clear in Hawai'i; minimal damage, practically none!

one casualty reported, near the Ala Wai canal on Oahu, was a partial bottle of vodka...

services will be held tomorrow evening.  You may pay your condolenses to his next of kin at your local pub via shotglass.

The news is reporting that this Chile quake was 1000 times worse than the 7.0 in Haiti (!), yet they expect far fewer casualties.

I can't imagine a quake that bad for three minutes! The 1994 Northridge quake was bad enough, and that lasted 1 minute out here in Chatsworthless. It felt like a bulldozer hit my house...  eek.gif

--Marc W.